Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle swap or 8lug conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by la_blazer82, Sep 3, 2004.

1. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

I read the CK5 article on converting a fron 1/2 axle to 8lug, to match the rear 14bff I just bought and will be installing. However, based on this article http://www.coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml, the parts needed come to $575! Do I have other options, like maybe swapping in a D44? I don't want to spend the $$ for a D60.

What are 8lug D44s going for?

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

8 lug 10bolts or d44's will make the lug pattern with the 14bff. stock axles (d44/10bolt) have 6 lugs. 14ff/d60's have 8 lugs... so If you have a 14bff you will have 8 lugs, in order to match, you have to convert it the front axle to 8 lug, or buy a dana60.
    The 575 you mention is all new stuff he bought, alot of the stuff you could get from a junk yard, it just wont be as good;new parts vs. old parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Dana 44's and 10 bolts front axles come in 6 lug and 8 lug depending on what you get it from.

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dana 44's and 10 bolts front axles come in 6 lug and 8 lug depending on what you get it from.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they do..Just hit the local PNP's for the parts from the knuckle out...And swap them on the other axle..

5. la_blazer82

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they do..Just hit the local PNP's for the parts from the knuckle out...And swap them on the other axle..

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the ignorance, but what do mean by "local PNP's" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

PNP = pick and pull as in junk yards

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    PNP = pick and pull as in junk yards

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo,...
    If you find a 8 lug set up I would just buy from the knuckles out..
    You can (if enough meat left) have the potors turned,You should just buy new calipers.(use old for cores) The most important piece to get is the brake bracket (dust sheild and spindel) in theory but more $$$ you can buy the rest at any auto part store... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ,You should just buy new calipers.(use old for cores)

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be able to use yer old calipers, as they are the same /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I had less than $75 invested when swapping my 6-lug front 10-bolt over to 8-lug. I bought a complete set of 8-lug outers from the local yard for $50 and spent around $25 to have the rotors turned and a few other odds and ends. The only parts you really need are the 8-lug wheel hub assembly, rotors, and the caliper brackets (backing plateds). The spindles, calipers, and locking hubs should all interchange with parts off an 8-lug 10-bolt.....which are very common.

10. la_blazer82

[ QUOTE ]
    I had less than $75 invested when swapping my 6-lug front 10-bolt over to 8-lug. I bought a complete set of 8-lug outers from the local yard for $50 and spent around $25 to have the rotors turned and a few other odds and ends. The only parts you really need are the 8-lug wheel hub
    assembly, rotors, and the caliper brackets (backing plateds). The spindles, calipers, and locking hubs should all interchange with parts off an 8-lug 10-bolt.....which are very common.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know there were 8lug 10-bolts!

What kinds of trucks would be the best donor to look for? I have a 14 bff to swap in the rear, but am holding off until I do the front so as not to have to carry two spares. I will be getting a bunch of parts from ORD this week, and will probably be lifting in the next two weeks.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Every 3/4 ton 4wd truck or Suburban from the late-70's until they changed body styles in '88 (trucks) and '92 (Subs) had 8-lug 10-bolt fronts. Around here there are always mid-80's 3/4 ton trucks in the junkyards.

Another suggestion.......IF your rear 14-bolt has different gears than your existing front axle, you might be better off finding a complete 8-lug front axle with matching gears. Still, a complete 8-lug front axle only goes for around $100-$150 around here.

12. la_blazer82

Thanks for the info! Now I know what to go out and look for