Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle swap or no?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KGsK5, Aug 27, 2006.

1. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

i have an 83 blazer with the 6.2 L diesel in it and stock axles and gearing... i want to run 35s or maybe 37s and be able to go out and have fun in the mud with it. when i bought the truck it came with a dana 44 front and a 14 bolt corp rear... niether of them are installed. would it be worth it to install these axles? what would be the benefits (or drawbacks) of installing them? :confused:

P.S. as you can probably tell... i am new to the whole off road scene and i really appreciate the feedback. :blush:

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Yep it would be worth it to install them.

Can't really think of any drawbacks of installing them, other than the loss of ground clearance in the rear, and the need to go to 8 lug wheels. But the increase in strength from the 14 bolt would outweigh the negatives.

Do some searching, and you will see plenty of threads about installing these axles.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you've got a 700R4 in your Blazer (which IIRC most diesel Blazers do) the 4.10 gears that are likely in your 3/4 tons are just about perfect for a truck that will see a good deal of highway driving with 35s. from what i am told, 6.2s are most efficient right ~1800 rpms. 4.10s combined with the .7:1 OD of the 700R4 will give you 1790 according to my speed calculator, factor in a little for loss through the auto trans, and you're right about where you want to be.

4. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ive got a 91 with 10 bolt front and 14 bolt in rear. I just got back from atrip with both front axles broke. Not strrong enough for my 37S i guess.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

agreed, the 10 botl front is a little weak for 37s, but with careful driving can be made to live with 37s. loads of people make them live a LONG time with 35s though.

another thing to think about...

you say you're new to the offroading scene. dont go too big right off the bat. a couple things can happen... you may not be as interested once you get into it, or you'll end up with a truck bigger than you can handle. a truck that's too capable with an inexperienced driver can easily get you hurt or killed.

since you have the 3/4 tons already, i'd build with them, and stick to your 35-37" tire size. get used to that setup, and if you want bigger later all you need to do is change the front axle. the 14FF that you currently have will stand up to any abuse you can throw at it.

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

"the 14FF that you currently have will stand up to any abuse you can throw at it."

hehe...:p:

:doah:

7. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

your saying to stick wiht the stock axles for now and if i want to go bigger later put in the 14 bolt rear and the D44 front?

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I say put both the 44 and 14 bolt in and you should be fine. There is not much dif between a 10 bolt front and a 44 front they are close strenght wise. The 14 bolt is way stronger than your 10 bolt rear. It really depends on what you want. Talk to the AZ guys like Marvspringer he swears by half ton stuff:D .

Ira

9. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I agree, but disagree..

two ways to look at it, wheeling with the axles allows you to get use to the truck and you will see how far your and the truck can go.. but if you do needed upgrades and repairs to your current axles you are dumping money in the wrong pot..

look at maint, things such as steering, ball joints, maybe a broke rear axles or c-clip witch could do some damage if it happens at a bad time or situation.. could get scary quick

or..

get those 3/4 tons cleaned up, get a conversion u-joint, some nice brake lines, and some new u-bolts, buy some nice or budget 8 lug wheels and go to town..

wheel those axles on what ever tires and lift, when you feel your getting ready or used to the truck, throw some better steering on it, a detroit in the rear and a drop in lock right locker up front.

with the lockers chosen, budget wheels, you wont be getting too crazy with money, the lock right is easier on that front axle then a detroit and you can enjoy the truck and NOT deal with a brake down that you can avoid..

however..if you go bigger than a 37 inch tire..add in some chromo shafts with spicer or better u-joints or let your mom drive because you may get real quick at changing axel shafts :)

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If the D44 and 14bolt have lower gearing, you'll definitely be happy installing them in the K5. Stock gearing and 35s will really labor that 6.2L. The lower gearing will help out quite a bit.

11. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

what gears would you recomend be in the D44 and the 14 bolt?

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

:whistle:

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Assuming you've got overdrive, I would go with at last 4.56s running the 35s. Personally I'd be tempted to go with 4.88s.

14. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

hehe... thanks beater...

15. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I vote an 8 lug axle swap to the 10 bolt sitting in his rig, and 14 bolt. Only problem there would be gearing for the 10, if it is different...
    Or you could give me both of those axles, and I'll give you some nice clean straight rot free sheet. Doors, fenders, tail gate, floors, tail pan, I've got good glass & tops, rims... etc etc etc. I'm in NH and can hook you up :deal: