Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle swap problem 88 gmc 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tgswillys, Sep 23, 2003.

1. tgswillys

tgswillys Registered Member

Got a little problem my friend blew his 10 bolt up and we had an extra 12 bolt out of a sub but the 12 bolt is to narrow. my question is. Is the 12 bolt sub narrower than standerd or is the 88 1/2 ton 10 bolt wider /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

12 bolt shouldnt be too narrow...i just put a 79 12 bolt into my 86 after blowing the govlock apart...went right in, same width..even reused ALL my 10 bolt rear brake parts on the 12 bolt..

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What year suburban? The first gen's are narrower.

4. tgswillys

tgswillys Registered Member

suspost to be 2nd gen sub to a 3 gen pickup

5. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I don't think that a '88-'98 pickup is going to line up with a '73-'87 pickup or '73-'91 blazer or burb. The spring pads are different widths.

6. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think that a '88-'98 pickup is going to line up with a '73-'87 pickup or '73-'91 blazer or burb. The spring pads are different widths.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only do the perches dont line up but the brake lines are different, and the later axles are 3.5" wider..

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the above posetr is right on the additional width, your idea that the newer truck stuff won't fit without looking goofy is incorrect.

Stock rear axles on our trucks are 3" narrower than the front, so if you take a 3.5" wider axle and put it in place, adding the .25" "extra" to either side is going to be impossible to see.

8. rjfguitar

I think it is more than just 3.5". DY535 You and I went over this before.

9. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    DY535 You and I went over this before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why I brought it up. You think it's different, he stated a difference. Why don't you actually measure and prove yourself right, and him wrong, or vice versa.

I'm not trying to make this difficult, but speculating isn't doing anyone any good. Because when time comes that these rear axles are all over the place, swapping one in to get rear disks is going to be an easy proposition if they fit, even if it does mean moving spring perches.

10. rjfguitar

I am too lazy to go out and pull off the wheels and tires to get an acurate measurement off my 98' burb. It may only be 3.5" difference, It looks like an inch or two more to me. But without a tape I'm not sure. Go stare at the back of a late model 4x4 and notice where the rim bolts to the flange. Or just call a boneyard,dealership,rearend shop, etc. and they will tell you that they are wider. I am suprised you didn't know this because you seem pretty knowledgable about chevys. It is kind of common knowledge for a well informed chevy 4x4 guy to know that, everyone I have mentioned that to has already known. How many guys know that late model(88'-up/new body style) 4x4's have wider rear and front widths from wheel stud to wheel stud?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All Chevy 4x4s have wider front axles than rears. It's not exclusive to the 88-98 trucks.

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I present to you, ladies and gentlemen, the replacement "mj". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I present to you, ladies and gentlemen, the replacement "mj". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF did I do?

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    All Chevy 4x4s have wider front axles than rears. It's not exclusive to the 88-98 trucks.

[/ QUOTE ] Yep, that is still the case BUT.. the offset on late model wheels are very different than the older ones and GM just widened the rear and front. Have you ever noticed how far an aftermarket tire and wheel sticks out on a late model 4x4 compared to our early trucks.

15. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    Or just call a boneyard,dealership,rearend shop, etc. and they will tell you that they are wider. I am suprised you didn't know this because you seem pretty knowledgable about chevys. It is kind of common knowledge for a well informed chevy 4x4 guy to know that, everyone I have mentioned that to has already known.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck are you talking about? How would I know this? Is this a site about the '88+ body styles? YOU don't even know for sure, you just THINK it's different. If you were so sure you are right, you'd crawl under the truck and measure just to prove me wrong. Of course I know that the rear axle on the '73-87 1/2 tons is 3" narrower in the front. That's why I think you are WRONG!

Blazekraze posted the difference (and the way he posted it, I take it he knows, and isn't SPECULATING) and yet you choose to ignore it? Is that the case?

[ QUOTE ]
    How many guys know that late model(88'-up/new body style) 4x4's have wider rear and front widths from wheel stud to wheel stud?

[/ QUOTE ]

And if I *must* mention this, its NOT what we are talking about. If the newer rear axle is 3.5" wider than ours stock, and there is no change in how far the axle flange protrudes, if you put wheels with the SAME backspacing (on the newer axle) as you had on the stock axle, there will be no problems with them sticking out.

Unless GM made the newer trucks with wider bedsides, I don't see how you can be correct. They are probably almost the exact same width as ours, I'd doubt a variation of more than 6" at the widest point.

Just because people put aftermarket wheels on a truck with an axle 3.5" wider, that has an obviously different bodystyle, and end up having them stick out 10", doesn't mean the same thing will be true if that axle were transplanted in a truck with a different bodystyle.

If the 88+ axle is 3.5" wider from axle flange to axle flange than the 73-87 style, there will be NO problem with proper backspacing.

Now, until someone comes up with axle flange to axle flange measurements for both axles, I see no need to respond to my post, because further speculation isn't going to get us any closer to the truth.