Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle swap question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Dec 7, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Is there anything hard I'm forgetting about? This job sounds pretty straightforward to me. Taking the Dana44 and 12bolt in my Blazer and putting them in a friends 1991 K5 to replace the 10bolts.
    New yokes maybe? Will the brakelines attach the same? Anything else?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I do believe you will have to change the front lines,i think the back is the same(I think).I believe the 12 is a perfect fit,including the universal.I too would also like to know if the d44 will be a strait replacement for the 10.Like will the steering arm/draglink fit?Spring plates?U-bolts?Front driveshaft yoke?I will be changing my front 10 to a 44 soon too i hope.

One From None

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I currently have a Dana 44 in my 74 Blazer. It is a complete bolt in. I reused the same u-joint and the same front leaf-springs. Brakelines even were the same as the 10 bolt. More or less it is a easy upgrade.

Communication Breakdown
    74 Blazer
    Zeppelin

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Everything is pretty striaght forward and the front brakes lines will be fine.

The only thing I can think of is on the 12 bolt. Some 12 bolts came with a "small" u-joint. If yours has the small u-joint then you need to swap yokes for the larger one. But if you have the large u-joint on it already you are lucky! :)
    You can swap the 10 bolt large u-joint yoke onto the 12 bolt but will need a different seal and I am not sure what the part number is off the top of my head.(I htink it is just the 10 bolt seal, but not 100% sure)

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Zepplin, why did your '74 have a 10-bolt in it? Had it been previously swapped? 74's came stock with a Dana 44 up front. 10-bolts started being used midway through the '77 model year.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You may need new brake lines, when I did this swap on my 90 K5, the caliper side of the brake line were different from the 10 bolt, GM may have switched things around from year to year, I have a axle swap article in the tech section.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff