Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Swap Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Nov 5, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Well i finally got mad and cut the u bolts on my 72 parts truck. This is after 2 weeks of trying to get the bolts out of the bushings. I endud up torching one side off and still cant get em punched through. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

1. What size U bolts wrap eaton axels and point up? 3" I think and where is the cheapest place? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Where is the cheapest place to get spring bushings? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. How do i swap these without killing myself? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. Can i swap the top spring on the 3/4 ton pack with the top spring off the 1/2 ton pack? I am trying to help cure the saggy butt. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Can i still use the factory 1" lift block with my 2" blocks I have now? They are just for saggy butt. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. I did manage to save the Ubolts on the d44 front. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif is it safe to reuse them after 30 years? they look fine.

7. what can i replace that little plastic breather with for vent lines. better yet how do i get it out without having chunks of plastic inside the housing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

69k5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i would get new U bolts for all around truck, they only 13 or less bucks a piece, check napa and then online, same with bushings,t hey are less than you may think, also you can get poly ones but possibly could be squeaky, but oh well.

3/4 ton axles U bolts are bigger than 1/2 ton 3" ones.,

1/2 ton are 3" wide inside width

GM leaf springs 1/2 through 1 ton are all same width, so youre good to go on that swap

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks.

i was consodering new bolts all the way around. to bad the new set i just got for the 12 bolt wont work. I am just gonna do rubber bushings for now. polys will come later with the lift. i just want to ghet her back on the road.

69k5

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

12 bolt ones same for 10 bolt as long as length is enough and also same as 44 dana 1/2 ton, i dunno on 3/4 44 dana though, are tubes same diameter on 3/4 ton 44 as on 1/2 ton 44 ? i forgot.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    1. What size U bolts wrap eaton axels and point up? 3" I think and where is the cheapest place? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

if you know the dimensions, the cheapest place would be a local spring shop... should be $6-8 per u bolt.

[ QUOTE ]
    2. Where is the cheapest place to get spring bushings? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, on bushings, dont go cheap... unless your truck is a mall cruiser. If you're going to take it offroad, invest a little more money and get a set of greasable bushings from ORD. get em here

[ QUOTE ]
    3. How do i swap these without killing myself? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure exactly whats stoppin ya from getting em off...pics? if a grinder and torch cant get it off, somethings not right! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    4. Can i swap the top spring on the 3/4 ton pack with the top spring off the 1/2 ton pack? I am trying to help cure the saggy butt. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

how about a zero rate? like this

[ QUOTE ]
    5. Can i still use the factory 1" lift block with my 2" blocks I have now? They are just for saggy butt. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

factory 1" lift block? wth?! i didnt know the 1st gens had them. At any rate, if ur butt end is saggin that much... and ur rig is that old... maybe you just need to get new springs. I recommend BDS, they are guarenteed forever, just like a craftsman.

[ QUOTE ]
    6. I did manage to save the Ubolts on the d44 front. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif is it safe to reuse them after 30 years? they look fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

personally, I wouldnt reuse stock 30 year old ubolts... but thats just my opinion. I doubt if they are structurally weak you'd be able to see it with the naked eye. better to go to a spring shop, they can hook you up.

[ QUOTE ]
    7. what can i replace that little plastic breather with for vent lines. better yet how do i get it out without having chunks of plastic inside the housing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

K&N makes a vent-tube-sized filter, summit carried em. go with them.

j

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

if you know the dimensions, the cheapest place would be a local spring shop... should be $6-8 per u bolt.

ill know the dimmensions tonight and check with the local tommorow morning.

dude, on bushings, dont go cheap... unless your truck is a mall cruiser. If you're going to take it offroad, invest a little more money and get a set of greasable bushings from ORD. get em here

I am debating on those. i was waiting on the lift for christmas, and just get it going for now. the lift is going on my other frame with everything else new also.

not sure exactly whats stoppin ya from getting em off...pics? if a grinder and torch cant get it off, somethings not right! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i meant dropping it on me when i hang the axels. is 4 jackstands enough and where is the best place to put them. im also trying to not destroy the hangars on the truck frame as i have another project for it.

how about a zero rate? like this

just a temporary idea the frame up will have them for sure

factory 1" lift block? wth?! i didnt know the 1st gens had them. At any rate, if ur butt end is saggin that much... and ur rig is that old... maybe you just need to get new springs. I recommend BDS, they are guarenteed forever, just like a craftsman.

the parts truck was 72 K20 truck thats why it hasd the blocks. im just not sure about stacking blocks. if its not bolted in i will leave it out.

personally, I wouldnt reuse stock 30 year old ubolts... but thats just my opinion. I doubt if they are structurally weak you'd be able to see it with the naked eye. better to go to a spring shop, they can hook you up.

if im getting them for the back might as well for the front and use them on the future build up.

K&N makes a vent-tube-sized filter, summit carried em. go with them.

thatll work thanks

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    69k5

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I am debating on those. i was waiting on the lift for christmas, and just get it going for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh ok, i hear ya. newish bushings are hella easy to remove tho, if ya wanted to you could the ORDs for now and put em in different springs later or whatever. save ya the $ of buying cheapo ones now AND ords later...

[ QUOTE ]
    i meant dropping it on me when i hang the axels. is 4 jackstands enough and where is the best place to put them.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, ok! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif yeah, 4 stands should be plenty. 2 for the frame, 2 for the axle and you're set. I dont have a 1st gen frame, but on my 2nd gen the best place to put stands is a little in front of the rear wheel wells because the frame is lower there. When i did my shackle flip, i put the stands under my trailer hitch.

[ QUOTE ]
    im just not sure about stacking blocks. if its not bolted in i will leave it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, stacking blocks is very shady... i wouldnt do it even on a street rig.

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

no problemo amigo, good luck!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

looks like the ORD bushings. they are only 8 dollars more thanthe rubber ones.

i agree the stands in front of the rear tire. theres frame ther easy enough, and then easy in easy out the back.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    69k5