Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 454silverado, Jul 23, 2005.

1. 454silverado

454silverado Newbie

I have an 85 chevy 3/4 ton silverado with a 4in suspension lift, 3in body lift, 454, TH400trans, and a NP 208, 2. something ratioT-case. There's a 14 bolt 9 1/2 in the rear and i'm not sure whats in the front. I wanna swap in a corp 14 bolt in the rear and a 1 ton dana 60 in the front. I've read you have to get special u joints for this and i might have to move spring perches. I've also read that 15 in rims wont fit on the rear. what gears should i run with 35 in tires? i was thinking 4.56 front and rear would be okay? Is the NP 208 up to the challage or should i find a np205 or 203. any other info, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you have a solid front axle then everything should bolt right in! and as far as u-joints go they do make a conversion joint but you would be better off taking your drive lines down to the shop to get built for your truck,but you must decide which t-case your gonna use first , If you cant afford an Atalas then go with a fixed yoke np205!! As for the rims, you will need 16's or bigger but i would go with a 16

3. seattle73k5

seattle73k5 1/2 ton status

4. Chaddy

True you can shave the calipers but if they ever go out on a trail have fun grinding them down in the middle of nowhere........just my suggestion

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am not quite certain what you mean but I dont think I have ever heard of a reason to change a caliper on the trail. Am I missing something? Also does anyone carry a spare caliper with them on the trail?

6. Chaddy

1 time my buddy and I were wheelin and he came down pretty hard and broke a front caliper but im sure its pretty rare. Im just saying its something to think about thats all :D