Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by burban1500, Feb 6, 2006.

1. burban1500

burban1500 Registered Member

IM ABOUT TO SWAP FROM A 10 TO 14 BOLT AXLE IN MY 89 SUB AND WAS WONDERING WHAT TRUCK AND YEAR IMPARTICULAR THAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR. I AM AWARE THAT I SHOULD FIND AN AXLE OUT OF A 3/4 TON INSTEAD OF 1 TON DUE TO SPRING/SHOCK RELOCATIONS. ALSO IS THEIR A WAY OF TELLING WHAT GEARS THESE THINGS HAVE BY PULLING THE COVERS?
    -Thanks in advance for the help

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

any year will be fine. count teeth with cover off, or twist yoke and count number of times u turn it for 1 full rotation.

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it'd probably be best to pick up a set of 3/4 ton axles, not just the rear. plus the front will have bigger calipers than your stock 1/2 ton. i would feel more comfortable with 3/4 gear out of a post '77 (i think that was the break) when the front axle tube diameter was 3" instead of 2.75. there's probably no real difference, i just like the idea of beefier stuff under my rig and 3 is bigger than 2.75. :) just to clarify what muddybuddy said, you count the teeth on the ring gear and divide that number by the number of teeth on the pinion. also, i believe that to prevent any problems with spring/shock location, the 3/4 ton gear needs to come out of a truck or burb, not a van.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

1/2ton and 3/4ton calipers are the same

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

really? i had always been told the 3/4 were beefier. well, i stand corrected.

6. brotha b

brotha b Registered Member

that is the truth

7. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

if the caliapers the same, but are the distance from the center of the axle differnet, such as larger rotors? if so the statics will show that the same caliber will place a greater stoping force upon the larger roter, since being further away from the center.... thus better braking with the same equipment...

8. burbanbeast

burbanbeast 1/2 ton status

i have a question that relates to what yall said earlier bout the shock relocation and all would a 14b/d60 of a cucv fit on my burban (same as his 89gmc) or would it suck to do