Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle swap ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by garagelogic, Dec 31, 2001.

1. garagelogic

garagelogic Registered Member

Hey, new to this site (new to mudding too) and am wondering if there are any 3/4 ton or 1 ton chevy axles that would just "bolt on" without much modification? That way I can also have disc brakes, at least up front. I got a 77 K5 my wife just gave me for Xmas. Needs alot of work but still pretty cool huh? By the way this is by far the best Blazer site by far!! Thanks for your advice. PS also need a set of rear quarter panels, but don't want to spend too much. There gonna get dinged up anyway.

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/uav.shtml>Boyce Equipment and Parts</a> These guys can sell you any axle you need for your new truck. You can get just about anything - There are a few popular choices:

1. Dana 60
    2. Dana 44
    3. Corp 10 bolt (8 lug converted for 3/4 &amp; 1 ton trucks0

Hmmm... we have a list of axle descriptions here too, FOR SALE board too, we always seem to have a few good units for sale...

Then the guys who can really help source an axle are BRIANS60S and WAYNE. These guys both have great deals on axles...

OK - I think I'm starting to ramble, so I'll stop now. [​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

3. garagelogic

Thanks for the help, not to mention the fast response. I'll be hunting the local yards or the boards for axles. Hoping to not spend too much $$$ on parts, but I've learned to always double your estimate, then double it again. Sweet rig by the way, hope to get mine in decent shape by the end of Summer.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks! Have fun getting your truck in line! I've had mine since March '01, and have been working on it since then almost every other day on average! [​IMG] And I am a "computer / network guy" too, so I'm sure if I can do it, so can you.

You should be able to get the 14BFF axle @ a yard for around $200-$250, and then the front depends... a D60 will hit you for anywhere from $600 and up... a D44... you should be able to get for a few hundred. What is done to your K5 so far?

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

5. garagelogic

It came with a 3 inch suspension lift. Otherwise it's stock. Has the 400 engine, auto tranny. Just built up my 88 silverado last year. So this should be a pretty easy build, all things considered. My Silverado was junk when I got it, put in a new engine, tranny, box, paint, seats, etc. But after going mudding in my friends '57 chev truck last year I got hooked and have looking for a solid axle that would be fun to build up. Now I got the Blazer. Have always loved the older Blazers. This ones pretty rusty but I have this thing about saving classic vehicles from going to the scrap yard. I've restored a few triumphs, a Fiat, and a few Olds Cutlasses. I have never done a 4x4 so I'm a little concerned about being ignorant about t-cases, axles and the such. This site will be a big help.

Now it's a beater but soon it's be meaner:-)

6. garagelogic

By the way, glad I'm not the only computer guy out there. Friends give me crap about being a "geek" but the last thing I want to do is work on a computer when I get home. P.S. how do I change this "Pavement Pounder" thing in my profile? I 'll only use the Blazer for mud.

Thanks,

Rich

Now it's a beater but soon it's be meaner:-)

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've been a computer geek for over 20 years. Started long before anyone even thought about having a PC in their house! [​IMG]

There's 2 ways to get rid of "Pavement Pounder". Either make lots of posts (I think it changes after either 25 or 50 posts by you) or join as a CK5 member and change it to whatever you want it to be. [​IMG]

Too bad you aren't closer to Colorado. I've got a pair of nice rear quarters that would fit your K5. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. garagelogic

Do you know how much you would want for the quarters? I might buy them from you depending on shipping costs? They could probably ship ground UPS.

Thanks

Rich

Right now it's a beater but soon it'll be meaner:-)

9. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

There's a new (yesterday) post on the Suburban page &amp; 4-Sale from 'Allen' for a complete drivable 91 3/4 ton Sub... So. Indiana, fairly rust free, new tranny that might be of interest for your project...?

oh, also a network/PC geek....
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by woody9 on 01/01/02 11:10 AM.</FONT></P>

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

$200 each for the quarters. They're aftermarket ones that came off a truck that was going to the scrap heap. The quarters had just been replaced, but the rest of the truck was evaporated by the dreaded rust mites. [​IMG]

But I have no idea how to package these monsters so that they would survive UPS. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...