Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle swap ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by earl87gta, Sep 3, 2003.

1. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I have a 77 3/4 t with a D44 in the front and a D60 in the rear my balzzer has a D44 in front and a 12 bolt in the rear I know if I change to the 3/4 t breaks up front I will have more stoping power but would it be worth changing out the D60 in the rear I did a search to see if any one else has done this and couldnt find any thing didnt even see any thing on a rear D60 just the front. I have noticed that the doge D60 is 2 in longer then the GM. If I do do this swap I will have to sell my rims and get new ones as well but I hve the doge allready so it wont coast me any thing to use it. Im just worried how long my axles will hold up with the 36 14.50 16.5 tires I have on it. Plus it eould be nice to have the extra stoping power. Just wish I didnt have to change to 8 lug to use the front breaks.
    thanks Earl

2. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Guess no one has used a rear d60 makes me not want to swap out the 12blt for it.

3. rpm35

rpm35 Registered Member

If you have the D60 rear, I would swap it for the 12 bolt. D60 are full floating witch makes them a much better axel. Also the ring gear is probally a little bigger and same with the axel shafts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mkinnunen

mkinnunen Registered Member

When I went to 3/4 t axles I lost braking power. I'm still trying to figure out what I needed to replace that I didn't. Good luck. I went to 3/4 d44 and 14BFF.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I am putting a D60 rear into my Suburban....I am putting three axles together to make 1 good one.

So the Dodge rear is 2 inches wider? Wish I had known that....I am going with disc brakes on that D 60, but haven't gotten the kit yet.

Break out the tape measure and measure everything against your current set up. I had to remove the spring and shock mounts and replace them to make this a bolt in. I believe the Dodge uses that silly bracket underneath the axle tube. Check out the tube for corrosion, this may influence your decision as to whether or not you will use that axle. If it is all rusted and pitted really bad, then you will either have to retube it, or fill that area in by welding it up.

I am going the rear D60 route because the price was right, and it was equipped with 4.56 gears and a Power Lock. Even with all the above modifications, this will be cheaper for me than setting up a similar 14FF.

Any more questions? Just ask........

6. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Same with me My old work truck is a Doge 3/4 with 4.56 grears so I have them I figured I would use them and junk whats left of the truck plus I figured the big breaks from from the front would be nice. Its just that every one seams to go with the 14bolt but around here you can find these old doge truck with d44 in the front and 60 in the rear pritty easy. When I get ready to do the swap Im going to change to the rear disk breaks to I talked to will wood abought making it stop and with mastercylinder to use and I may buy a break pedal with the two master cylinders one for front and one for rear and use a adj valve for the rear. only problem is all manual breaks no power involved or I may use a mastercylinder and booster from a 87 transam with 4 wheel disk breaks. I guess Ill figure it out when I get to that point.
    Earl
    Earl

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

For the most part, the 14 FF is a direct bolt in, and the Detroit Locker is darn cheap....Not to mention the sheer strength.....

That is why they are so popular, and I like to do things the hard way /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif