Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Nov 29, 2003.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Well after wheeling a few times in the '76 K20, my wife does not like it. The seat space is limited and with the stick shift, it's even worse for the three of us. So, we went looking for a good used Blazer, just to check prices. I came along a decent early-80's with just a little rust on the tailgate. My question is this: how hard would it be to swap the 3/4 ton axles from the K20 uder the Blazer. I believe they are the same width, but would I have problems with u-joints or the springs? By the way, my wife says go with the Blazer instead of fixing up the rough K20 body. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I appreciate your opinions.

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

to swap the running gear is no problem at all espically since your starting with DRIVABLE running gear... its pretty simple as long as you stay with the stock K5 spings in the rear (if there 56" if there 52" you can swap them too)but you will need to get a conversion u-joint for the rear end other then that there a direct swap

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Swapping is a piece of cake, as long as the bolts and lines cooperate....They will fir right in.

Use this opportunity to update the spring bushings....If she says it is OK, then nows the time to lift it too....

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I have to talk to the seller of the Blazer, but it's been sitting for sale for awhile. The K20 has 52" springs and 4.10 gears, which would be great to lift the Blazer with. The K20 has many dents big and small, and the floor boards are rusted out. The engine runs great in the K20 as well.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What year is the K20? If it has a D44 front axle than you will need the brake lines from it also, if it is a 10B front than you can use the lines on the blazer and if you ever get a front 60, 10B brake lines are the same as D60's.
    Very easy axle swap, probably the eisiest there is. Just takes some time because there is a lot of work to do.

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The K20 is a '76 and it's a D44. I'll have to get the matching lines then. Thanks.

I take it everyone thinks the K5 is far better than a K20?

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Not really, but if it keeps the wife happy and you wheeling, then it is great.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

They are basically the same trucks really... Just one is a longer with stiffer springs minus the drivetrain. They share most of the same parts.

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Well its definitely nicer to have room for three people in the Blazer rather than on the ol' bench in the truck. Plus, when out wheeling, your stuff probably stays drier inside the blazer than in the bed of the truck. I really would like an opinion if the axle swap is something worth doing or not. If I do it, I will sell the truck with the 1/2 ton axles under it, for whatever I can get. But to do the job (x2), it should be something that is definitely worth it.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

There is no question about it if this is worth it....

11. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Do it!!!! I've done the swap several times and it is time consuming, but easy. I have a few buddies coming over next weekend to do just that to our new Suburban (78 1/2 ton 4x4). Should have them both done in one day. Just make sure that you use a line wrench on the brake lines or it will be a long day trying to fix them. Lift it at the same time. You'll be glad you did.
    T-roy
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif