Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RAY, Jan 29, 2001.

1. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This weekend I going to swap out my 10 bolt for a 12 bolt I bought. Will need to change the u-joint or will the one that fit my 10 bolt work? Also, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks,
    Ray

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

You can use the same u-joints. I dont really have any pointers for ya, except be safe and patient those darn u-bolts can be a pain. It's a pretty easy process to change out from a 10 to a 12.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It's really straight forward. Your ujoint and everything else is the same.
    I hope you've checked the gear ratio and it's the same as your font axle?
    -- Mike

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Check to make sure little things match the old rearend. Such little things would be the brake cables. GM had two different years of brake cables. Old ones were equal length up to 82 and new ones had passenger side cable run over the pinion to the driver side on 83 and up. If yours dont match, just change backing plates over and be done.