Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle swapping

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lasvegas, Feb 28, 2001.

1. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

I have been searching for axles for my '78 Blazer (currently has Dana 44/Corp 12 bolt) and decided it would be far cheaper to buy a truck with good axles in it and swap them out then it would be to buy the axles all by themselves. So last weekend I bought an '88 Chevy C30 with Dana 60/Corp 14 FF. I searched all my literature and could not really identify the truck because it had four leaf springs instead of the independent front susp. that Chevy started using in '88. I finally found a GM corporate designation of V3500 in one of my books which is a consistent with two solid axles on my truck instead of the independent front K3500. Does anyone know what this V3500 designation is (ie, is it some sort of commercial type vehicle or something like that). It appears to have heavier duty ratings and pieces than a regular K3500. Is it comparable to a CUCV military blazer? Is it worth keeping in one piece or is it better to swap the axles into my Blazer? Any help would be much appreciated. I just started in with Chevys in November when I got this Blazer and these parts and designations are all sort of new to me. (Used to drive Landcruisers). Lastly, I have done a lot of reading about lockers and wondered what would be the best for this truck. It is mostly driven on the street, maybe a total of 1000 miles a year, and I want to be able to drive it without any problems on the street but when I do go into the desert, I do not want to get stuck!!! Any recommendations?? Thanks

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

CUCV Blazers M1009 had regular old 10 bolt axles (gov-lockin the rear). The rest of CUCV series (pick-up one ton chassis) had D60 & 14B (with No-Spin in rear)(M1031, M1028, M1028A1 also had a limited slip in the front axle). The heavier axles are alittle more limited in the locker/limited slip selection department. The GM No-Spin or Detroit Locker is your only option for the rear 14 bolt. Up front, a clutch type limited slip, detroit locker, Air Locker will fit the Dana 60.

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Just for the heck of it... what gears are in the axles? interested in getting rid of them?

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI