Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle swapping

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lasvegas, Mar 19, 2001.

1. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

I know this seems to be a common subject but the answers are not clear now that I am staring at my two trucks. I bought an '88 one ton for its D60 front axle and 14 bolt rear and want to put them in my 78 blazer which currently has D44/12 bolt. On the rear, from everything I have read, it sounds like the only real work is to move the spring perches on the axle. Is there any necessary driveshaft work? Just before I found the 88, I spend nearly $800 having custom driveshafts made up for my blazer and am beginning to think I might have wasted a lot of money not simply waiting . . . On the front, do I switch over the entire axle and all the steering gear that is attached or what? Any help would be appreciated on this one. I know it is supposed to be an easy swap but nothing is that easy. I appreciate any help or thoughts or comments.

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

For the rear the spring perches will have to moved. The 1-ton frames are a little narrower than the 3/4 or 1/2 ton frames. In order to save the custom driveshafts, you should be able to find what is called a conversion u-joint, these have two different size cups on them with one to fit the existing driveshaft and the other to fit the yoke on the new rear end. I got mine through NAPA at about $22. The other issue might be with hooking up the parking brake cables at the rear brakes. Most Blazers use what is called the push-in style (where they go into the backing plates) while a lot of the 1-tons and 3/4 tons used a bolt-on style. You might get lucky and they will match up, but even if they don't this is a problem that can be resolved.
    The front should pretty much be a bolt-in affair. Keep the tierods from the new axle attached. You should be able to use the draglink (that goes from the steering box to the axle) that is on the Blazer.