Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Tech tip!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I had completly forgot about this. I was installing Warn shafts and CTM's this week. Thought I would share this little tirck a buddy of mine showed me a few years back.
    What you do is get a peice of PVC pipe that the OD is close to the ID of the axle tube. Cut a 1/3 wedge out of it. Cut it about 1 inch less in length that the distance from the inner axle seal to the end of the tube. Slide it in the tube. This give you a clean peice to slide the axle shaft on to istall it without dragging it through the dirt in the tube. It stays in the tube. If you break a shaft on the trail then you can pull it out and wipe it clean and not contaminate your Diff.
    The PVC also vibrates and keeps mud broken up so it comes out. The tube stays pretty clean as a result. This one has been in the axle for about 4 years now. As you can see it does not cause any issues.
    This trick works on a 10 bolt front. Don't know if it will work on a D44 since the tube walls are thicker. Same with D60.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

So when you slide your axle shaft into the tube on the piece of pvc, you just leave the pvc in the axle tube until the next time you pull the axle shaft?

3. Grim-Reaper

Yep it stays i n the tube.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

What thickness pvc did you use? Cause I'm gonna be tearing into my D44 here in a couple weeks and i'll have a look at different thicknesses of pvc for that since you don't know.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Never trust a "tech tip" from a guy with such clean hands!

Poser Hand-Model..... LOL!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Never trust a "tech tip" from a guy with such clean hands!

Poser Hand-Model..... LOL!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hahahah
    Really I am taking pictures for two write ups. So every time I had to take a picture I went and washed my hands so I wouldn't nasty up the Digital camera. The wife gets sort of pissed when she picks it up and it's greasy LOL. Look and my thumb...Nail is packed with greasy and so is ithe cutical. If I wasn't needing the pictures I would have been done a heck of a lot quicker. I got wrenching at 10:30 in the moring. I walked in after cleaning up and reparking the cars and trailer at 10pm. There was a couple hour brake so the wife could run to the store and for dinner.

7. Grim-Reaper

Just regular old PVC for water. It's been several years so I really don't rmember the sizes.
    Not sure it will work on a D44. The tube is thincker so not as much room in the tube between the shaft and walls . I would measure iinside diameter of the tube then find some PVC that is the same outside diameter.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Will do some checking and all know.

9. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did the housing tube show any grooving(that you could see)?
    Seems like a great idea.

10. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Great idea!

11. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

What I want to know is, is are these warn shafts and ctm joints for your rig Grim? Cause from what I know about you, if it can't be gotten from the boneyard, it isn't worth getting /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just another way of saying you frequently go the cheap route.

12. Grim-Reaper

Yep Warns and CTM's
    Got the Warns from Keith used. And we will see how it does on Trail 9 (slick rock) Saturday morning. Last year both Dep and Keith blew joints there. The rest winched to avoid brakage. I don't plan on winching unless I can't get through. They both broke in the rock garden leading up to the rock. If you can keep the axles in it it's doable. We have a few on 1/2 and 3/4's. I wonder is MTpockets and Yeildtome are going to give it a shot or winch?

13. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Actually, I winched because with an open front diff and a rear eaton that was being lazy, I couldnt make it up!!! I do plan on trying it this year, but will winch if needbe.

rob