Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle thought?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gm4x, Apr 7, 2004.

1. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

I'd read a couple posts, and I can't remember what the situation was (swap or ?), but it required an axle to run on the "coast" side of the gears. I was wondering (and can't picture it unless I had one setting in front of me) of you axle tubes were removed, the differential section "flipped over" (rotated 180) then the tunes reinstalled, would this correct gear rotation?

I'm not in the process, I just have one of those inquiring minds. More of a curiousity thing /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I am no expert on it. But I think you need a reverse rotation axle to be right. What you just described sounds like running the axle upside down. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Well, this isn't a project I have, somewhere here I'd read of someone having a similar problem (running gears backwards) which in turn got my mind thinkin'. Wish I could remember where I'd read it. I didn't know if my thoughts of an end to end tube swap, while flipping the diff housing would cause the gears to then rotate in the correct direction or not? Course you'd have to tap & plug vent tube, redrill vent fttg hole in the (bottom) now top-side, probably same thing with fill plug.

LOL....not worth putting a whole lot of thought into here. too much'a that gives me a headache. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

This was mentioned in a post about a week ago???
    (the reverse rotation stuff) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    don't know myself lol

5. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Flipping the axle over puts the pinion gear on the other side of the ring gear causing the ring gear to turn in the opposite direction. That makes the axle go the wrong way.

6. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

OK, but if it was running in the wrong direction in the beginning, you're saying this would correct it? That was all I was wondering. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd read a couple posts, and I can't remember what the situation was (swap or ?), but it required an axle to run on the "coast" side of the gears. I was wondering (and can't picture it unless I had one setting in front of me) of you axle tubes were removed, the differential section "flipped over" (rotated 180) then the tunes reinstalled, would this correct gear rotation?

I'm not in the process, I just have one of those inquiring minds. More of a curiousity thing /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is running on the coast side of the ring gear -- but it is turning the tires in the right direction. If you turned the diff over it would be running on the drive side but it would be turning the tires in the opposite direction /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Plus, most pinion bearings are oiled by the rotation of the ring gear. If it were upside down the oiling woulding work and it would quickly burn up.

Hope that helped /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Might of been the post of the front 14B /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Joe

9. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

OK, but as long as the supplied power from the driveshaft was rotating the same, how could that change wheel rotation? So if this is correct (and I'm sure not saying it isn't), it would be impossible for an axle to run on the coast side (backwards)of the R & P to begin with?

LOL, keep in mind, I'm not looking to argue....just curious.

As far as oiling, would clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation matter on a slinger-type lube system?

10. driney

If you have a 10 bolt gear set on the rear, as you look at the yoke the driveshaft is turning clockwise and makes that axle move forward with respect to the vehicle. When you move that same 10 bolt gearset to the front the driveshaft is turning counterclockwise relative to the axle. (You are facing the opposite way.) That makes the axle move backwards relative to itself and move the direction the truck is going. It also makes the pinion run on the coast side of the ring gear. If you turn the axle over, the ring gear is now on the driver's side and makes the axle run the opposite direction of what you want. Whew! Are you thoroughly confused by this? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Edit: sorry I turned my clockwise and counterclockwise around. Fixed it.

11. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Y'all are referrin to the post where a center mounted punkin is on a front 60. Everybody was all up in arms about the punkin bein in the center.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

12. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Well, but if the diff housing had the axle tubes removed, flip the diff housing end for end, then tubes rewelded in the correct position (short tube right/long tube left) wouldn't this then have the gears rotating the proper direction? Also, at the beginning of my posts, I was starting out with a set of gears ALREADY running on the coast side.

And no...I was confused LONG BEFORE I ever started thinking about this /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, but if the diff housing had the axle tubes removed, flip the diff housing end for end, then tubes rewelded in the correct position (short tube right/long tube left) wouldn't this then have the gears rotating the proper direction? Also, at the beginning of my posts, I was starting out with a set of gears ALREADY running on the coast side.

And no...I was confused LONG BEFORE I ever started thinking about this /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

NO

The pinion would be rotating in the same direction -- but it would be turning the ring gear in the opposite direction.

14. driney

The center section you are flipping is what determines the relationship of the gears to one another. When you flip it it still puts the ring gear on the wrong side of the pinion for the direction you need to go. You should have seen me drawing circles in the air with my finger while I was trying to sort this out in my head. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I wasn't gonna admit to that, but I started getting light-headed. I'm not tryin to say I'm right & anybody's wrong here. I would have to have a diff on my desk w/o cover to know fer sure. Maybe I will call X-files?? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

OK, I re-read your last post. I'm not talking of flipping the carrier in the housing (which wouldn't work)I'm saying flip the entire axle, but swapping tubes & shafts to locate diff in stock location. Not sure if I misunderstood you or not? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Here's my last attempt -- if it doesn't make sense I give up, you'll have to find someone who can explain things better I guess.

[​IMG]

Imagine those are two axles one with the differential housing in the original position and one with the housing turned 180*.
    In the first one the pinion would turn clockwise and drive the ring gear in one direction. In the second one -- the pinion would still be turning clockwise but it would be pushing the ring gear in the oposite direction.

Does it make sense now? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Y'all are referrin to the post where a center mounted punkin is on a front 60. Everybody was all up in arms about the punkin bein in the center.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

[/ QUOTE ]

He said it was a 14 bolt front...