Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle transportation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieRed, Jan 24, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Going to pick up my 14FF axle tomorrow, any idea how to get it into the back of a ford explorer (NOT MINE!!!!) without tearing up the carpet? Also, only 2 or 3 people to use.
    Thanks

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I dunno but watch the tailgate.... my axles made a S10's gate bend like a piece of foil... doh... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I don't envy you guys. There were 2 of us trying to get one onto a flatbed trailer without a hoist and it took a couple of hours and we didn't have carpet to worry about. Used a comealong. Will that puppy even FIT in the back of an Exploder?

My advice would be to borrow a flatbed from someone and and strap it down to that. Use the Eploder to tow it. 14BFF weigh nearly 500lbs. Your backs, fingers and the Exploder owner will thank you.

Just my honest opinion /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no wonder my back kills me, i keep being dumb and lifting half of axles and engine blocks and 4 speed toploader trannies when moving them and i only weigh 145.. hmm....

we put a 350 in back of a trailblazer recently, had to worry about carpeting, got soem antifreeze back there,,

good luck

5. BowtieRed

I don't thin we'll have a prob lifting it. I deadlift almost 400lbs, and my dad had a football scholarship to Penn state (when they where #5 in the nation/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and he is MUCH stronger than i am. then there's one more dude.
    yes, the WMS-WMS is 63", and the explorer is 70" from the edge of the folded down seat to the edge of the carpeting.

i think i'm gonna make a nice smooth block of wood to put one drum on and slide across the back just pushing from the outside.

6. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dude then go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    The most problem is with balance, the center section likes to swing on you and upset the balance.
    It's also doesn't have a lotta convenient grabby handles.

7. BowtieRed

good point, i'll bring some ropes and tie some slipknots. thing is we're going from truck bed to back of explorer, so that should make it easier.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

All I can say is have fun. This job sucks a big one. I had to move mine from a flatbed trailer to the bed of an F350 and it took 3 people to do. (I am a large person. 6'4" 275lbs at the time and played football at Colorado State University & I had the help of a large buddy of mine along with 1 other person.) It sucked.

What I can suggest is put some card board under the diff and under the drums to help it slide on the carpet. It worked in the bed of my F350. I used this tactic with mine and I also used it for numerous gun safes up to 1100lbs.

It can be done. I have done it but my back hated me the next day. Me and my buddy carried it 50+ft from the bed of a truck. Thats all I can say to help. Good luck

Harley

9. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Rent a U Haul truck or a little trailer and do it that way.
    If the Ford is not yours and you get grease or something else
    on the carpet it will never come out. Just remember a 100.00
    spent on the rental sure beets a life long back pain or ruined
    freindship over ruined carpet.
    Bo

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hauled a 14 Bolt FF and a Dana 44 (3/4 ton axles) in the back or a S-10 pick up with no problems what so ever. The back end was sagging, but no biggie. Even closed the tailgate with both axles back there, and no dents. But then again, I was taking it nice and slow. Wasn't my pick up so I was being extreamly carefull.

11. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I just wnet and picked mine up on Monday with the wifes minivan. I put down a tarp and some thick plastic. As far as loading we got off easy. We loaded it with the backhoe. Getting it out was fun. It took three of us to get out and over to the jack stands.

Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

moving a ff14b is no joke. I had to do it twice by myself and it sux! Only way a stick man like me could do it was with a cheery picker and all kinds of tie down straps to keep the thing balanced etc. It wasnt the smartest thing I have ever done... and Im glad I wont have to do it again anytime soon. Not sure my back will ever forgive me.

As far as protecting the carpet in the explorer, I think the best bet would be to lay down a sheet of plywood (3/4" would be best) and then maybe a piece of carpet or an old rug on top of that. the ff14b is not only heavy as hell, but that weight all comes down on a very small surface area, so you'll need some kinda protection or you'll be risking destroying the exploders carpet. If you have access to a cherry picker, u might want to bring it along, it might save you a lot of trouble. Less chance of tearing carpet if you are gently setting the thing down with the picker as opposed to muscling/dragging the thing across the rigs carpet...

j

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the WMS-WMS is 63", and the explorer is 70" from the edge of the folded down seat to the edge of the carpeting.

[/ QUOTE ]

The WMS to WMS on a 14 bolt FF is 67", but then the hubs stick out another 2.75" on each side so the final width would end up at 72.5"...

Rene

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

dont put it in the back. spend the 30 dollars at u-haul and rent a low trailer. i promise you will mess up the carpet. gear oil, dirt, grease and axle are not happy in carpet.
    grant

15. BowtieRed

got it today, no prob. We got some old plywood and a thick piece of 1/2"x12"x48" pine. we just slid it across the wood. took maybe 3 minutes. car is fine. WMS-WMS was 67", you were right. it really wasn't too hard. they guy who brought it halfway loaded it in his Z-71 by himself /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif i think he may have dropped it because four or the little things on the drum (what you call them??!?!?!) that are flat and stick out a bit were broken.

anyone with a stock k5- what is the spring perch width on your 12 bolt?

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Perch width for 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons is 42.5" center to center. One ton perch width is 40.5"

Rene

17. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

the god damn yoke of a front 10 bolt axle put a dimple hole in my bed of my truck, needless to say if your gunna transport it put a nice long and wide peice of wood in the exploder so you dont put a hole in the floor /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif