Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Trusses

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What do Axle Trusses do ??? I've seen them, but don't know if I'd need them or not.

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Keeps your axle housing from bending and adds overall strength. Some places around here won't do an alignment on a sfa truck w/o an axle truss becuase they can't guarantee that it will last due to flex in the weld's and tubes.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Axle trusses reinforce the whole axle assembly (housing and tubes) Trusses can be bolt on pieces of metal rod (not the strongest option), all the way to welded, gusseted steel plate. You'll see trusses in trucks that like to catch air under the tires. This is because upon landing, the truss will prevent the axle from snapping in two.
    Here is a link to a picture of one on ColoradoK5's photo gallery. Notice the extra metal under the axle.
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=419

4. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Some places around here won't do an alignment on a sfa truck w/o an axle truss becuase they can't guarantee that it will last due to flex in the weld's and tubes.

[/ QUOTE ]
    WTF??? Honey don't get in the Burb, 150k on the front axle with no truss, its gonna blow!! Somebody will have to explain that to me if its accurate. A sfa alignment is just toe, so what does a truss have to do with it? Even if the tubes flex and go back to the original position how would that change the toe setting? If they flex and don't go back to the original position, thats called bent and your SOL. Wow I'd stay away from that place unless the rules of physics are different there. They would'nt happen to sell axle trusses, now would they???!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Yep, they will definately save you from snapping the housing. I have snapped one of my 12 bolts (no truss)so bad that the center was dragging in the sand with 35''s and the front axle was fine (conn ferr truss) and the front axle almost always is the first to snap. I have since added a conn-ferr truss to the back and a Mo-offroad truss (pictured in my avatar)rt. 10' of air repetatively with no axle breakage (just ripped the shock mounts off and collapsed a spring). Sooo, if you jump your truck (at all) get at least a front truss. If you only crawl, I wouldn't get a truss that hangs below the axle, the tend to get snagged and bent making them useless.