Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle tube coming out ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Apr 8, 2002.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok after learning that they can come out of the housing..I was looking at my d44 in the front (trying to solve this vibe that is bad enough to almost knock off my passenger side door) and there seams to be a clean spot around the tube (the rest of the tube is black and grimmy) next to the housing and I was wondering if anyone can or has the lenth of the long tube side from the housing to some fixed point like the shock tower... Thanks in advance...mike

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I measured my long side tube from the edge of the housing on the top side of the axle to the inside egde of the spring perch. This should be a fairly reliable spot to compare. Mine measured at 15.875". My Dana 44 is a 77...not sure if there were any real width differences between the years or not.

Rene

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

HA! Damn bro, I guess I did get ya thinkin! I'm the one NoSmog learned about this from. Just happened to my 12 bolt today. Tube made it most of the way out, causing the whole diff assembly to look like its smiling. Also cracked the case right where the tube meets it. Not a pretty site.

4. tRustyK5

1/2 ton junk.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

5. Zeus33rd

True. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif But do you have any spare 1/2 ton junk layin around? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have a 10 bolt rear...but i dont know if its good or not...i will crack open the cover tommorow...i also have one in a camaro...i know that one is good...maybe swap out the axles and be set to go...i will give them to ya cheep

7. tRustyK5

I know cost is always an issue, but you might check out prices on 14 bolt rears. I think you'll find them to be similarly priced to 12 bolts. 3.08's aren't the most desirable ratio anyways so you'd be making two upgrades at the same time and only swapping the rear axle once. The great majority of 14 bolts have 3.73's and 4.10's in them... If you have newish tires on 15" rims you can always score some cheap steel 15" 8 lug rims...

Just a thought...

Rene

8. Zeus33rd

Ugh...10 bolts. Better than nothin I suppose. What ratio are they? Ha, Now don't laugh, but I need one with 3.07's. :P

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i know the one that came out of my truck has 3:73...i think the camaro might have 3.08..it might be of some help to ya...the only catch to the one out of the camaro...its still in the car!..i need to get off my ass and pull the rest of the car apart so i can get rid of it...by the way any one need any parts to a 86 z28?

10. Zeus33rd

tRusty...You make some good points. The problem being that if I do find a decently priced 14 bolt, then like you said, it will most likely have the 3.73's or 4.10's. In which case I would have to re-gear the front D44. Not to mention the need for an 8 lug conversion as well. More money than I have at the time. I figure that with the amount of people that upgrade from the 12 bolt/D44 combo to the 14 bolt/D60 combo, then there has got to be quite a few 12 bolt's with 3.08's. Also, this is just a temp thing anyway....the 1 ton stuff IS on the to do list. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Only time I've ever seen a D44 lose a tube was in a tough truck competition.

As for the 1 ton stuff for 33s, that's a waste of 1 ton equipment/money. Just get a decent set of 3/4 tons, switch to 8 lug toughness, and be done with it.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Isn't the shiny spot just where the u-bolt goes? I know my u-bolts hit the axle in slightly different spots than what the donor trucks u-bolts hit, so I have shiny spots as well. If its ALL the way around the tube, then I'd be thinking the tube is pulling loose.

Not sure if you can check if the tubes have moved once the diff cover is off or not. These tubes ARE made to be removable, at least according to some of my GM service manuals, but I can't see swapping or fixing an axle tube being any cheaper than just replacing the axle.

13. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks trusty and all..now to look at mine and the clean shiney s/p is on the tube right nest to the axle housing "like it had been pull out"....mike

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am going to have 32's on my 14bff. I don't consider it a waste. I do plan on 35-37's but until the 32's go bald or flat then 32's are what I got.