Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle tube seal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Mar 23, 2005.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Help, thezentree noticed a puddle of gear oil comin out of my axle tube tonight. This is the inner axle seal correct? What all has to come apart to replace this? I have taken my front axle down as far as the spindle before, never taken the spindle off. I can do the whole wheel bearing repack without too much trouble.

So, from what I see, I take the spindle nuts(or bolts, cant remember) off, take the brake bracket off, beat the spindle off, pull off the backing plate. Now, does the axle shaft assembly just slide out of the axle, or do I have to do the hokey pokey and shake it all about, to get it to slide out?

Once its out, the seal should be visible correct? Do I need any special tools to remove this? I dont have a seal puller, does it have a flange over the end of the axle tube I could pry it out by? That is how I replaced the seal on the output of my np208.

EDIT: Researching online reveals there is also a seal inside the axle tube, next to the pumpkin(atleast on a D44). If this is the case w/ a 10 bolt as well. Which would be the one needing to be replaced? This is getting more complicated the more I read.

What exactly is that seal called? All the parts counter people around here are morons. Also, what are the torque values for the spindle nuts(or bolts)? I cant seem to find them in any of my manuals.

Thanks guys, always something with this thing. Chris.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

If yer gettin gear oil out its the inner axle tube seals next to the carrier.

Pull everythin off down to the spindle then pull the shafts out of the tube... Drop yer diff cover, pull the carrier bolts (remembering the position of the caps) then ull the carrier out, you'll see the seals on each side. Put it all back together.

Bummer is you hafta do both sides even if only one is leaking, but ont he other hand...you start fresh and wont worry about them for a while.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

:( :( :( that sucks......welp, easter bunny can help me do it this weekend I guess. Once again, this sucks. http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/axleseal.php
    That a fairly good representation of what I got to do?

Anyone got the part numbers for the inner seals? And I guess the outters since Ill have it down that far, and they are apparently leaking too, since the oil is getting out.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yep, thats whats gotta be done. i know the dealer has them, not sure where else to get them.

mines been leaking for 6 months or so, i just keep the fluid full. i need to change them soon...

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Yeh, thats about the skinny on it. I did mine not too long ago. My bud has some of the seals at his place but I dont know the part # off hand but I will tomorrow, hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

When you pull yer carrier out, make sure it goes back in exactly the same way I.E. bearing caps and shims...thats the big thing, everythin else is just pullin the outters down like normal. You will probly have to drop yer tie rod to get the carrier out, I did it with mine to make things easier and get a better look at what I was doin,.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive pulled the carrier before without moving the tierod, had to turn the carrier sideways, but didn't have to remove the tierod..

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

do your self a big favor . go to hardware store and by the 5-6 ft length of threaded rod and get 2 nuts and 1 big washer that fits in the axle tube with the shaft out and has some play in there . cut 1/3 to almost 1/2 of washer off and put on end of rod, with 1 nut on and then washer and other nut then tighten them and jam the washer inbetween them. next possition it so the flat spot is down and put in hole and shove in untill it reaches the seal. then rotate it to have the round half down. then pull out and keep doing this till all the crap and mud is out of the tube. this is what gets pushed in to the seal and diff every time you put a shaft back in to the housing.

just a great idea i got from some old mag artical. it works great.

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

There are no outer axle tube seals. just your inners.