Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle tubes and u-bolts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have been looking for new u-bolts, last time I bought new one's I went to a local blacksmith who custom made them while I waited. He is no longer in business and I decided to order from an online source. I went to BDS and Heckethorn and they list all 5/8" u-bolts as being either 3 1/2" or 3 5/8" while my 14FF is 3 3/8". If I go with 3 1/2 it won't fit around my axle tube and if I go 3 5/8 I will have to "squish" them 1/4". Am I missing something, and are there any manufacturers that make a 3 3/8" ubolt (5/8" diameter)?

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

SUPERLIFT.

They have them. I have gotten quite a few of them in that size many times before.

If you want, I can get you some new u-bolts from Inland Truck Parts. They will cost around $40 for 4 of them.

If you go with ITP, at least they will bend the u-bolts to YOUR specs.

Give me some measurements and I can get you some if you want.

Or, tell me what length you need and I will look in my Superlift catalog and get you the part number so you will have it ready when you call them. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

If I am doing the math right the 3-1/2" U-bolt should fit with 1/8" to spare. Let us know how it works out I am putting a 14BFF in my truck next week &amp; will need new U-bolts too.

'80 K10 350/350/NP205/12B/10B/4"Lift/Q78-Buckshots

4. Leadfoot

Wes,
    Thanks for the quick response, I will let you know.

bigmack,
    You are correct, Brain Fart on my part [​IMG]. 1/8" should be negligable (read un-noticeable). My question is why Heckethorn recommended the 3 5/8" wide u-bolts for me [​IMG], when I told them I had a 3/4 ton with a 14FF?

Also it has me wondering. I told them I wanted the highest rate rear springs they had (52" eye to eye). They said it was a 6 leaf spring pack p/n 8200 (not listed in their online catalog) which are $90 each. That is an awesome price compared to others I have seen $200+ each. The question is what kind of quality am I getting for $90. You usually get what you pay for so it has me hesitant to order from them, yet I have heard several people recommend them. I want a high rate for pulling. I had a lot of spring wrap with the blocks even with kicker shocks and don't mind if they ride stiff. I also would like to get my u-bolts from them as they are zinc coated, but now I'm starting to reconsider.

Thanks for the responses, and I welcome any more.

P.S. What axle would take a 3 5/8" u-bolt?...a D70 or the thick wide u-bolt of a D44 or 10 bolt...never really measured, but curious?

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Chris, the D44 and 10 bolt front axles both take the 3 5/8" u-bolt on the pumpkin side. Just that one u-bolt that goes around the larger part of the housing where the spring sits. All the other 3 u-bolts are the same size.

So, yeah, the 3 5/8" is for the front axles. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

6. Leadfoot

Wes,
    Thank you yet again!

bigmack,
    I will let you know what they say when I call and order.

Chris

Getting wiser by the day! [​IMG]

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey i need new u bolts for my 14FF too. The ones that i got from ORD stripped out. I was wondering If It'd matter if I went up to 3/4 diameter and something in a coarser thread? I just think fine thread goobers up too easily.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

8. Leadfoot

I will let everyone know what I get and size. As far as fine vs course thread. Fine thread can "goober" up easier especially from physical damage (rocks, hammer, etc.) or over-torquing, but when properly torqued I prefer fine vs course as it is less likely to vibrate loose and if it does it usually takes longer to completely come off due to more contact area.