Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle tubes.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Moose, Aug 12, 2000.

1. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever had this problem? I just got had a set of 4:11 and locker in the rear and the day after that I got on it a little and heard 2 pops. When I got to work I looked underneth the truck and the 3 welds in the passenger side tube had came out. Has anyone ever rewelded the a tube in the housing/

2. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

wow, never heard of the tubes popping out just driving around. i have previously broken many, but that was becuase i kept jumping the truck......i'm a bird....i'm a plane......i'm superk5!!!!
    no seriously tho', i once wanted to weld my tubes in the housing but there were people who had many different feelings about it.
    i would like to know the pros and cons of doing this.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

3. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Are you sure the welds came out? If you had a Detroit installed, it can pop so loud after you make a turn, it'll sound like an axle shaft or R/P broke but everything is alright. If you don't have fluid leaking out the diff.,wait a few days and check again-if the welds did break, you'll have a leak.

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had something similar happen in an elcamino I had. the spot welds didn't hold and when I hammered on it the torque would cause the tube to turn in the main housing. they can be welded BUT by a very good welder and the correct welding rod. cast iron to steel is difficult. alot of heat and special rod for cast iron. If you are not carefull you can weaken the tube when welded. DO NOT weld fully around the tube. stitch weld it.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

5. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

I rewelded them today. 3 of the spot welds popped out cleam holes all the way to the tubes. Talked to a guy at the run today and he gave me advice on how to weld. Weld it in the center of the hole and build it all the way out.