Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle weights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Nov 28, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I'm looking for something that shows the weight of different axles..10 bolt vs 12 bolt adn car axles not truck. I checked out the shipping weight post but that didn't help

anyone??

2. big pappa b

nobody??

3. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

4. big pappa b

Been there..no help

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Sorry, missed the car part. I thought you missed the 10bolt part in that thread.
    Maybe a car forum like third gen has a similar section in their classifieds :confused:

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The weight difference isn't going to be much car vs. truck, and whatever difference there is, will probably be existent in car vs car as well, as the difference is mainly going to be in the overall axle width, and different bodies used different width axles.

If you want an accurate shipping weight then that's near impossible unless you find the weight for the exact axle width you want to ship, but if you want to get close, a truck 8.5" without drums should weigh very close to what a car 8.5" does. I'm betting the shipping weight post has weight of complete 10 bolt, and the weight of just a 10 bolt drum. Also assuming car drums are smaller, which may or may not be the case, but I don't recall my G-body 10 bolt drums being quite as big as the truck ones. Differences affecting weight being width, coil vs. leaf, and any possible brake differences. At least for the 10 bolt...the car and truck 12 bolts I know have other differences, not to mention the old Oldsmobile 12 bolts that were different still.

That's also assuming you mean 8.5" 10 bolt and not the 7.5" 10 bolt.

Sorry I can't give exacts, I'm trying to help as much as I can, since it doesn't seem there is much other input...