Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Width

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve_Chin, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have the figures on what the flange to flange axle widths are for the stock 12-bolt on our Blazers, the 14-bolt SF (6 lug 2WD PU/Sub), 14-bolt SF (8-lug 2WD PU/Sub), 14-bolt SF (6 lug 4WD PU/Sub), 14-bolt SF (8-lug 4WD PU/Sub), and 14-bolt SF (8 lug van).

I'm thinking of going with the "Mini 14" because I don't necessarily need all of the strength the big 14 has and I don't want the extra parasitic drag and weight that it has. I also like the idea of being able to use the 6 lug flanges and staying with my current wheels and tires.

2. Dave_S

Dave_S Registered Member

I don't have the answer to your axle length issues, but I do know that if you're in the market for new axles in the NorthWest, there's only one place to go: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dutchmanms.com>Dutchman Motorsports</a>

They can custom build any axle you want with any bolt pattern you'd like. They're lighter and stronger than stock.

AKDejaVu

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I can't get you many exact #'s but here is what I got:

Just about all 8 lug housings are a bit wider than their 6 lug counterparts. The difference is in the nieghborhood of 1/2" per side (i.e. 3/4 ton D44 is about 1" wider WMS to WMS than a 1/2 ton D44).

I have heard rumors that Blazer/Burb rear axles are wider than truck axles (although I highly doubt this).

Van rear axles are wider than truck, Blazer, or Burb axles and are about as wide as the front.

I have at the moment a 1/2 ton D44, 3/4 ton D44, stock 12B, and a truck 3/4 ton 14BFF that came w/ the big drums. They are all in various states of dis-repair at the presen't time but I should be able to get you measurments in a week or so.

If you want to see what a 6 lug 14SF looks like width wise Matt (Baby Blue) had one under his truck at Blazer Fest and there should be some pics of his truck around somewere. He has sence sold those axles to ChevyCalGal.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Hmmm... I'd heard that the 4WD 14SF rear axles were wider than the 2WD ones. I was thinking that the van axles were wider still. I guess I should hit the yards with a tape measure in hand...

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Try downloading this
    http://footeaxle.com/2001catalog.pdf
    On the full float axles WMS to WMS can change by using a different hub. I don't see how it could be changed on a semi-floater