Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Wrap[frown]

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aksidentproan, Mar 28, 2002.

1. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Well....I hate it. I cant even rip tite wheel. I have 4 inch lift blocks and its horrible. I know traction bars are a solution but what about a kicker shock. ChevyCaGal has one. I was wondering how well these work and how to mount them. Any feedback or another course of action would be great. Thanks.

Evan

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Kiker shocks will only dampin the issue not cure it! I HAD 4" blocks until the axel wrap destroyed my rebuilt 12bolt!!
    I bought 5 1/2" SuperLift rear spring packs and that cured all my hopping a axel wraping issues! I run 4" Rancho spring in hte front so my rig does sit just a tad bit highr in the rear(no hardtop) with a hard top my rig sits almost level. I actually like the slight stink bug look. It's not alot just a bit! bettter than a saggy butt anyway!!!
    I think the kickers would be more for looks than function!!
    .02c

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Evan,

The first thing that comes to mind is that something may be wrong elsewhere......4" of lift is NOT excessive. I had 4" blocks on mine initially with 35's and never had problems with axlewrap (at least nothing I ever noticed) I know that you're got that "Granny Low" in your transmission, so you've got a lot more torque to twist that axle than I do......

Have you checked other things like motor mounts, transmission mounts, loose suspension bolts, etc? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$....it's just puzzling that you are having such a severe axle-wrap problem on a rear suspension setup that's pretty widely used.

Hmmmmmm? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

get rid of the blocks and get springs or do a shackle flip that will help a lot /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I tend to agree with Greg on this. Axle wrap should not be that much of an issue with your setup. I read in this months 4wheeler where the editor said a clunking when braking and accelerating was a sign more of driveline angles influencing the driveshaft slip joint . The driveshaft tube amplifies the sound. He said adjust driveline angles first (in your case, shim axle, or lower t-case). Good Luck. JT

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes BUTT, if thoes are the original spring packs on the rear then they are WAY soft compared to when they were new out of the factory. Add a 4" block to a worn out pack and I guarintee that spring pack is flexing into an 'S' shape and when the pack releases all the pressure...hop hop hop!!! And in my case POW BANG CRUNCH !!!!!
    Even if you chose to go with a shakle flip instead of SpringPack lift I would buy new springpacks and ditch thoes 30 yearold tired packs!!
    .02c

7. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

First off....I have the 3-speed so my first gear is by no means low. I think the problem is I do have the stock leave packs but im getting ready to swap them out for suburban springs for a little help when I tow. I guess this gives me a reason to put my suburban springs in then. Thanks

Evan