Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle Wrap is NO JOKE!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, May 10, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I, after being challenged to a truck pull last night, accepted and chained up to bigredrig, a fairly big dodge, the fist time he went and i was still putting my seatbelt on, the second time he used 4lo, and that was unfair because i had 2wd, then i went a little bit early and pulled the crap out of him, then, the last time i hit it hard and i started to pull then i heard "ee BANG! bzzzzzz" and started rolling back. i got out and my axle was rotated 90 degrees up and i couldn't see my driveshaft. my blocks were almost falling out. i found the driveshaft laying on the chassing, somehow unharmed. all i need, i think *knocks on wood* is a new ujoint and straps. point being it is REALLY ugly, i'll bring the camera and show ya'll when i go to fix it.
    I guess my new engine has some decent torque then, eh?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think learning the lesson that truck pull comps aren't smart or safe is what you need more than a new u-joint. just mo.

j

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gifDang,pics definately needed.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i think you are extremely lucky thats all you need to fix /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. BowtieRed

i think it was perfectly safe, it was in a controlled environment, i was just too stupid to mut my ladder bars on my new axle. i'll be doing that soon.

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i have never understood the "my truck can drag yours" thing. why not race or something else if you want to prove horsepower?

i just don't get it...

7. mudhog

what was the surface you were on?

8. BowtieRed

big grass field

9. mudhog

well at-least it wasn't on cement lol

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    i have never understood the "my truck can drag yours" thing. why not race or something else if you want to prove horsepower?

i just don't get it...

[/ QUOTE ]

its a small-penis thing, I don't really understand it either! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

i just don't get it...

[/ QUOTE ]

its a small-penis thing, I don't really understand it either! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]

*smack*

ouch. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

truck pulls are for rednecks. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

13. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

maybe but its also a good way to shut stupid ciry slickers up. i had some little rich kid in a truck daddy bought him (91 s10 blazer 4x4) he comes to me and said he could pull me so of course i laughed and agreed to the challenge. needles to say he busted his truck and i won. in 2 wheel drive to boot.

you are deffinately lucky that more wasnt damaged though.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You can't really blame that on axlewrap, every axle that is only supported by leaf springs has some wrap, but most don't end up with the pinion moved 90 degrees. You either have too tall of lift blocks, loose u-bolts or your spring perches broke off. The wrap isn't the problem per se, it's whatever let the axle break loose and rotate that's your problem.</font>

15. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think learning the lesson that truck pull comps aren't smart or safe is what you need more than a new u-joint. just mo.

[/ QUOTE ]

next time u smash yur rig rock climbing ill read you that post

16. BowtieRed

it's a combination of the two, i had those blocks in there temporarily and the fron t wasn't long enough, i had just forgotten i shouldn't push the truck hard, and i did and it broke. i fixed it yesterday, IN A GRAVEL PARKING LOT- JACKS AND JACKSTANDS ARE NOT FUN ON GRAVEL!!! and a lot of 4x4's for getting the jackes up there were used- $140 of huge floor jack and two 6 ton jackstands, and 5 hours of labor on a 90* day, 64 oz of gatorade, moving two railroad ties for jackstand lift later, i got it fixed. on the way home, it broke again. i had it towed home this morning. and i have pictures.

when it broke last night i was at a stop light and i started to hop out, but the it started to roll back to the car behind me and i threw my ruight legs up on the brake, and stood on the ground with the other, then we pushed it into a close parking lot. 5 minutes later a cop came up sirens on and asked if we saw "an older model gray chevrolet pick-up with a guy leaning out bleeding"
    HA! my truck was 'gray' from mud and i was 'bleeding' from sweat and dirt, and it looked like i fell out. . .

*BEWARE PICTURES ARE GRUESOME*
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the first time my u-joint straps broke, and the heads came off, apparently the new straps were a bit too strong. lol

PS- my truck is a bastard. and i'll be doing a shackle flip this week.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you were running shocks it might help to damp the wrap that you do have, but from the pics it looks like a classic case of lift blocks rolling out due to loose u-bolts. </font>

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I recall mentioning your blocks looked dangerous over at CTS...musta went in one ear and out the other I guess. I don't care who made em or where you got em, they should be long enough that the U-bolts aren't out past the ends of them...and yours weren't.

When you get it fixed make sure you re-torque the U-bolts too...

Rene

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Wait a minute, you're saying that the blocks were under the springs in the same position that they are in this pic?

[​IMG]

If that's the case, then we know why they rolled out, axlewrap isn't a joke, those blocks are... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif </font>

20. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

We now have a poster child for why blocks are dangerous. You are very lucky the carnage wasn't worse.