Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle wrap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Jul 16, 2004.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I've got just a quick question I hope someone could answer. There's a clanking/grinding noise coming from around the passenger rear tire. I then found out when I give it gas my rear diff rotates upwards slightly. Would this be considered axle wrap and would that be the source of the clanking/grinding noise.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Could be... my neighbors truck is doing the same thing. But we found out it was the shim....the rear half of it was missing. Pro-Comp did mail us a new one for free though.

3. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

hopefully it's nothing serious so you can make it to Azusa this sunday.

4. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got just a quick question I hope someone could answer. There's a clanking/grinding noise coming from around the passenger rear tire. I then found out when I give it gas my rear diff rotates upwards slightly. Would this be considered axle wrap and would that be the source of the clanking/grinding noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many varibles when it comes to axle wrap. Such as; Condition of springs, height of spacers, Engine performance, etc.

If it is only rotating slightly, I do not believe axle wrap is the problem.

Your clanking/grinding noise could be u-joints, wheel bearings, driveline angle or maybe even a loose u-bolt.

How long has this been going on? What were you doing when it started? Have you made any recent modifications? etc.

Ask yourself some questions like the ones above; you may find it there.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

haha, i had a clanking when i got on it...the whole transfer case was rotating and wakin the floor...lol...somehow, sumway the bolts weren't replaced when my school did the engine rebuild. bunch of dumbasses. lol. but yeah, i totally agree wit backcountry. i would assume driveline angles wit the rear u-joint. cus u said it only happens when u get on it.

6. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the input guys. And I'll still be going to Azusa on sunday. I'm just gonna bring a few spare parts this time. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif