Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axle wrap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Greek, Aug 5, 2006.

1. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

k im pretty sure i have axle wrap..everytime i come to a light or something it feels like my rear end shifts..so im pretty sure i have some

my question is, is axle wrap a problem that needs to be solved or it will cause damages? or is it one of those problems that just annoys you?

2. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

axle wrap is found on (hard) accelleration not comeing to a stop.

check your u-bolts, springs, and u-joints and any slip joints in the drive shaft. dry slip joints in the shaft can bind and unload.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Not to start an arguement here, but I think it is possible to have a form of axle wrap when braking. My K1500 has a 5" block, and when I put the truck in forward or reverse with the brakes on the axle will move. It feels like the axle moves rearward when I brake, and my friend says it looks like it too when I'm stopping. When the truck finally stops the axle will move back forward. Blocks suck.

4. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Ok your right there, with the physics of it. but in reality if you're seeing some axle wrap on braking your leaves would be pretzels on acceleration. soooo we'd be talking about the big problem not the little problem wouldn't ya think.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ya, my springs go crazy when accelerating. If I nail the gas from a stand still, the springs will wrap and then unload and shoot the truck off.

6. otisringle

otisringle 1/2 ton status

My truck does the same thing at stops. The backend feels as though it drops a little or something. Im replacing the springs(get rid of the sag) and bushings and ubolts in hopes this will end. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen to his truck and it was fixed after he got new springs and bushings and what not...

7. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

k then since i have no blocks and axle wrap doesnt usually occur during braking ill check out the other stuff.