Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle wrap??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Nov 16, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey y'all!! Man, it feels like years since I sat and read through this side of CK5.... I forgot what I was missing over here...

I'm currently getting some wierd stuff in braking an accelerating and was hoping I could get some ideas on combatting it.
    In braking, it feels a little like the rear of the truck is rising a little and staying there, then when I release the brake, it feels kind of like it thumps real lightly and quietly down, then harder as I accelerate. A little while ago, I got down in the wheel well and rolled the rear wheel back a little by hand, on the ground, with the ebrake on, and the axle yoke rose up a little, maybe 1/4 inch. I don't think I ever saw that before, and if I see it that easy with a hair of push on the wheel, driveline torque must be really messing with it.

The tranny mount is solid, I just replaced it a few months ago and it's still good, motor mounts are also solid, u-bolts are tight, and all spring bushings look good (cracking, but good). The is a crack in one leaf on the opposite side I was pushing, and oppostie side of the noise area, though.

BTW, it has lift blocks in the rear, too.

Any thoughts??

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The is a crack in one leaf on the opposite side I was pushing, and oppostie side of the noise area, though

<hr></blockquote>
    sounds like you should replace your rear springs. I had a few leafs break on my old 77 Blazer a number of years ago and it really affected things. I swapped in some rear springs from an 88 K5, they have the little teflon slip pads on em from the factory and improved the ride quite a bit.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Also check both upper rer shock mounts. One side is bolted to a bracket, the other side is bolted to the frame. Both have been known to crack.

I have a theory on the cracked rear spring problem also. The non-teflon lined rear springs wear a "seat" into the spring above it. Normaly, it rides in this seat with-out any plroblems, until the leaf if forced to travel further than normal and binds against the outer edge of the worn in "seat". Something has to give, and the spring cracks. The "fix" (I hope) is to chamfer the ends of the leafs, or cut just the tip of the leaf off (if it has allrady worn a seat), spread the leaves and lubricate between the springs, or figure out a way to install teflon wear pads.

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Y'know, that's a good theory... I have been trying to flex a little more, recently, so travelling beyond the normal worn seat would make sense.

It is an '88 truck, though, so I would assume from what you said, Rene, that they have the teflon. It's been cracked since I bought the truck, so I've actually always been pretty good about lubing them, but got lazy the past 3 months...

I guess tomorrow's a junkyard saturday after all!! Thanks guys!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.