Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axle yoke play?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ascuro, Sep 17, 2006.

1. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

How much play should there be on the pinion shaft/input yoke on an axle? I'm trying to track down a slight vibration, and noticed I can move my rear axle yoke around (up/down, left/right, etc) about 1/8th of an inch or so - there's almost zero play on my front axle. It does look like it's causing a small leak too. Worn bearing perhaps? Or is that normal?

Also, if it is a worn bearing, can I replace that and the seal without removing the carrier - or do they come out through the housing? (on a 12-bolt by the way).

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I am pretty sure on a 12 bolt the carrier needs to come out to get the pinion assembly out. That 1/8" play isn't good. If it makes you feel any better I have the same prob with my 14 bolt right now. The only difference is the entire pinion assembly on a 14 bolt comes out from the front. Definitely need new pinion bearings, crush sleeve and seal though.

Have your driveshaft checked for balance.

Rene

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yep, the Chevy truck 12 bolts are notorious for wasting pinion bearings. You will be lucky if your ring and pinion are okay and all that needs replacing is the pinion bearings and seal. If it were me, I would probably start looking for a new rear end :(

4. raymos

raymos Who?

after i broke my 14bolt yoke and didnt replace the seal (because im a moron i guess!?) my yoke is moving like that also. i tightened the nut more and it helped but after i drove the truck more the slop came back. im gonna have to get the whole rear rebuilt because all the fluid leaked out and the rear seized, i added more oil and can still drive it but i know the bearings are toast. 4.88's and detroit hear i come!

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You shouldn't have ANY play in the pinion. It should take approx. 20-25 in. lbs. of torque to rotate the pinion. You'll have to pull it all apart to fix it. Might as well get a master install kit and do it all if you are going to fix it.

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

It should take more than 25 in. lbs. to turn the pinion if the carrier and shafts are still in it. If you have play at the pinion it is likely that your gearset is no good either.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Oops, my bad. You are correct. You need to pull the shafts to measure it w/ an in. lb. torque wrench.