Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??axle??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nicotine, Mar 7, 2004.

1. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

okay i know it would be better to run the 14bolt but why not get a set of moser axles for my 12 bolt? i know the 14b would be way better than the 12. but if i ran the 14 i would want 3/4 ton front also plus added cost or new wheels and tires. thats alot of money. anybody run these axles i read the review but i want some live feedback. And what is the biggest size tire would run on a 12 bolt with good axles?

2. bushmaster

bushmaster 1/2 ton status

nic the 12 bolt doesnt hold up well with large tires ive blown up 4 in my blazer the spiders and pins explode under hard acceleration and full throttle 2nd gear shifts ive switched to a dana 60 and for four years i havent had to touch anything i was running 38.5" and 35" tires if your driving style is "normal" 35" tires should last you a while with the 12 bolt

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

One of the big benifits of the 14ff is that the weight of the truck and the strain is on the axel HOUSING, with the 12 bolt, the weight is all on the axel shaft itself. 10 bolts and 12 bolts are known for breaking axel shafts. Even if you go with a Moser or any aftermarket axel, The axel shaft is still taking the brunt of the load. You could go with the Warn axel shaft AND full floating kit, But at 600.00 it makes the 14ff a CHEAPER option! With a little grinding on the case, you won't lose much ground clearance.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    okay i know it would be better to run the 14bolt but why not get a set of moser axles for my 12 bolt? i know the 14b would be way better than the 12. but if i ran the 14 i would want 3/4 ton front also plus added cost or new wheels and tires. thats alot of money. anybody run these axles i read the review but i want some live feedback. And what is the biggest size tire would run on a 12 bolt with good axles?

[/ QUOTE ] Simple fix. Get the 14 bolt FF with matching gears to your front, and get the 8 to 6 lug adaptors so you don't need new rims. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

also truck 12 bolt have tiny small pinion stem diameter, the bearings commonly burn up and come apart,

i would stay away from a 12 bolt unless is high ratio and is with small tires and not driven any other way cept light daily driving, you would be better off with any other axle than with a 12 bolt truck axle for anything other than normal driving

for the most part

6. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I don't think the 8 to 6 lug adapters would work. The center hole of a 6 lug wheel isn't large enough to fit over the 14 bolt's hub. If I am wrong, someone please let me know cause that's what is holding me back. I was also thinking about getting a 14 bolt semi-float that is 6 lug, it is obviously not as good, but plenty strong enough, right? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

i was looking into the adapters but with only having 33-35 inch tires the ground clearence on the 14 bolt would be horrible. Also i have to change the gear ratio in the 14 bolt because it is out of a van. another question is with the adapters on a van rear end it would stick out a litter further than the front if this is the case how much?

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think the 8 to 6 lug adapters would work. The center hole of a 6 lug wheel isn't large enough to fit over the 14 bolt's hub. If I am wrong, someone please let me know cause that's what is holding me back. I was also thinking about getting a 14 bolt semi-float that is 6 lug, it is obviously not as good, but plenty strong enough, right? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When you run those adapters you take the 14ff hubs and axles to have the ends turned down.. this way the hole in the 6 lug rims will fit over the hub. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

yes but with the van rear end how much wider will the back be?