Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AxlePics (re:14 F/F with six lugs)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, Aug 20, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Here are the pics! This is one of the hub, sticking out with six lugs. This photo is NOT digitally enhanced, altered, or touched up in any way. (I always wanted to say that! [​IMG])

[​IMG]

2. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Here is one of the punpkin, but it isn't very good. You can just make out the ridge, just like on the 14-bolt pics ion the tech section. I'll try to get a better one soon.

[​IMG]

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

where did you find it?

4. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I walked into the shop and was talking about getting a 12-bolt, and the owner said that it was a bad idea, as 12-bolt parts are kind of hard to get, and .."besides, I have a 14-bolt in the back right now." I told him I didn't want to have to buy new wheels and tries, and he said, "Dude, it's a six-lug, check it out." And I did, and it is, and it is a full-floater. Pretty cool. It cost me $1000, though.

[​IMG]

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>How did they do that? can you get a pic with a wheel off so we can see? thats cool!</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

6. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

That is awesome. I have thought about doing this and now I have seen it done so I know that I can do it. First question is are those the stock 8 lug brakes or do you know? If anybody wants to do this, I think the is what you have to do. You will have to turn the hub down for 4.375" to atleast 4.170". Then plug and redrill from 6 lug. Note you can't use stock type wheels because the centers are to small for the hub. If you use aftermarket wheels this should be okay because Toyota 6 lug uses this big of hub. You will have to turn down the axle its self and this part I was wandering about and it looks like they put allen head bolts into it. So have fun playing with this combo I know I will and thanks Ggallin13 for the picture.

Donovan

7. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

O.K. now drop the dime, where did you get it. We need shop name and phone number. Is this a one time thing or are they going to make more?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

8. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

They are the stock 8-lug brakes. You are also correct about the wheels, as they came right off of my wrecked Cruiser, tires and all. GM made wheels would never fit, but these do fine. All aftermarket wheels should work, as they go by bolt pattern, so it is easier to make wheels that fit Toyota and GM than to make one type only for GM. That worked out really well for me, luckily. At least SOMETHING good came out of that rollover.

They did put Allen bolts into it, also. I am not sure how far they turned the hub, I am going in there tomorrow, so if I can remember I'll ask them. I have a stuck hub at the moment, which they are going to fix for free, of course.

The shop who sold me this is 4-Wheel Parts in Sparks, NV. Their number is 775-358-6866. There has been some negative press as far as the corporation is concerned, but I have had nothing but great experiences with this shop. They did the spring-over on my Cruiser and have worked on two trucks that beling to a friend of mine. I don't work there or anything, nor do I guarantee anything they do, they have always done me right, that's all I can say. I would imagine that they can explain what they did fairly readily, either to another shop or to someone who is mechanically inclined.

All I know is that the axle is virtually bulletproof and I am very excited about it! [​IMG]

I will take a pic with the wheel off as soon as I can; I can't put a time frame on it, but it shouldn't be too long. Maybe I'll load the camera and have the shop guy do it....

[​IMG]

9. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I just got back from the shop, and they have three or four of them right now. It turns out that they make them there. I mentioned that there might be interest out of the area, and they said that they could ship no problem. He is also going to take digital pics and give me a disk, so I'll post them when I get them.

According to him, unless you have access to a machine shop, doing this yourself is very spendy.

[​IMG]

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Hey if you get a chance, let them know about this site, might be a good place for them to advertise.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

For that $1k, did you get choice of gears and a locker?

Man that would be sweet...

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

12. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I let them know, and I am sure he will be contacting you. The web address is all over my back window, after all! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I got 4.56s and a Detroit, and I think the total for the rear was $1700 or so, which was a pretty good deal, I think. I paid around $350 or so for the Detroit, and then I paid labor, but because it was such a big ticket (and I send all my work there) I got a deal on the labor as well. The total for regearing both axles, the Detroit, 14-bolt, drivelines, pushbar, lights (installed), new exhaust pipes from the motor to the cat, and labor was $3500. At first it sounded like a lot, but I have absolutely zero vibration (unless I get a stuck hub![​IMG]), and my rear end will probably outlive me. My 3" exhaust sounds great, and I have way more power as well.

I am considering getting 38s when these tires wear out, as I lost some clearance because of the huge pumpkin. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

If anyone is interested I can machine some of these hubs for you guys. My family owns a machine shop in the Denver Area and I am going to go this route myself. So if anybody is interested let me know.

Donovan

15. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Your family owns a machine shop here in Denver - your my new friend. [​IMG]
    How would this work with the TSM rear brake kit, the Ford rotors would have to be turned down I guess. I just went out and looked at my 14-bolt and it looks like there would not be much room to play with, you would almost be into the shaft bolt holes, I guess thats why they used small allen head bolts. Also what would you do with a front Dana 60? Dynatrac is out of the question!!

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

16. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Steve give me a call tomorrow and we can talk about it. 303-423-6152. Here is our website if you what to see what we do make. http://www.ramgrinding.com

Donovan

17. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

18. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Nice work Donovan! It's nice to find a machine shop that will actually do vehicle parts in Denver. When I needed my custom D60 steering arm tapered, I had a hell of time finding a machine shop to do this because everyone so scared to any automotive parts.

BTW- Where about do you live in Arvada? I use to live on 68th and Estes and went to Arvada HS. I recognized the 423 ph #.

I'm sure I'll be calling you.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

19. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

We are just up the street from Medved Chevy. I went to Arvada West High School. Man you was really close. Stop on in sometime and say Hi.

Donovan

20. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Damn!
    Don, you are kinda bad ass =)