Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axles and gearing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FLASHLIGHT76, Jul 2, 2002.

1. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Just found what appears to be a deal. $350 for a Dana 44 front flat knuckle and a dana 60 rear w/ aburn posi. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif front has 4.09 and rear has 4.10. What's the problem with this picture. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif owner tells me chevy used to build them this way from factory minus the posi. was this the case or is he blowing smoke up my &amp;*$#%! ? My truck is stock with a 10 bolt front and 14 bolt rear (9 1/2) semi floater. Is this worth the up grade? And if so will my brakes bolt across, front or rear? What other problems are to be incountered? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif <font color="blue"> </font color>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

actually you want it setup that way and yes they do come factory 4:09 front 4:10 rear what you dont want is 3:73 front and 4:10 rear /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I Agree, It seems Dana Corp. Did'nt make a set of 4.10's for the 44. Chevy's, GMC's, 4.09 Upfront, and 4.10 Outback is Normal, and O.E.M.

4. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Cool so how does this perform? I know it should track better on the dirt but what about on pavement? A'm I going to be unable to use it on pavement? Can the 44 take 4.56's? Are the 44's for chevs different then any other 44's?

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The Only time Yoy should use 4x4 on Pavement, is when it's Icy, or Snowy. If you Do use it on Dry Pavement, You will Experiance, Tight, side to side Steering. I mean It the Truck will Fight You, and the Axles will Fight one another.

In the Dirt or Mud or Any Loose Surface, It will work Fine. The Inside Wheel or Tire, on a Turn, will give a little, and You won't feel It fighting, as on Dry Pavement.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My truck is stock with a 10 bolt front and 14 bolt rear (9 1/2) semi floater. Is this worth the up grade? And if so will my brakes bolt across, front or rear?

[/ QUOTE ]

First off the slight ratio difference is not going to noticeable to you at all. Air pressure in the tires has more of an effect than such a miniscule ratio difference. In two wheel drive you wouldn't notice a thing obviously.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Wheter or not the swap is worthwhile depends on what gears you have right now. If you have 4.10's already then the swap is basically pointless. The SF 14 bolt you have is similar in strength to the D60 rear, same size carrier and the 14 has large 33 spline axles. The only knock on it is that it's a C clip design. D44 and 10 bolts are so similar strength wise again it's only a feasible swap if you are getting a better gear ratio.

rene

7. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Well said, I agree. The only benefit I can see other that if the gear ratio is more what you are looking for is that the D60 is a full floater. I wouldn't do the swap just for that reason.

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

That gearing ratio is fine. It will work for on-road use or off-road just as well as exactly matched ratios. According to ALL the experts, as long as the gears are within 1%, you will not notice the difference. This difference is comparable to what you would normally have just due to tire size differences with matched gears. 4.09 vs 4.10 gears are only .25% off. Like another said, you wouldn't do something like 3.73 and 4.10 (9% diff) or 4.10 and 4.56 (10% diff) unless you are doing something really tricky with tire sizes to equal out at the pavement.