Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axles and wheels and junkyards OH MY!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RubberFloorMat, Jan 18, 2006.

1. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

so ok what year and models shoud l look under for a Dana front and 14ff rear???

how bought a 83 3/4 ton 4x4??

and will it still be a 6 bolt or will i need new rims??

should i get the leafs as well?

i dont have internet right now or id look on my own.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

An '83 came stock with a 10 bolt front and a 14 bolt FF rear, and they were 8 lug axles. The 10 bolt and the dana 44 are close in strength, but there are many more parts around for the 10 bolts.

3. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

so what year model's should i look at for axle upgrades.

im not going any bigger than 35"s and have some decent wheels already, if i build up the 10 bolts can it handle it?

mild trails and some mud, but a mostly street vehicle, hunting and fishing etc...

have a 4" lift and 33"s now.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have wheeled just fine in the mud with 40's on a 12 bolt, and many times with 35's on a 10 bolt. Every now and then I would break one, but that's only after much abuse, and they were easy/cheap to replace. For your intended use, I would think a stock 10 bolt should hold up fine for quite a while. I wouldn't spend a great deal of $$$ to build up a 10 bolt, just run it till it breaks and replace it. You can also get a 14 bolt semi-float with a six lug pattern that should be plenty strong. I don't know what years/models the SF axles came in, someone else will have to help with that.