Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

axles, axles!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by santana, Jan 14, 2003.

1. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Can anybody explain why the rear axles are narrower than the front (10 bolt)? Also is there an axle that is the same width as the front or a way to extend it to be the same width?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

3. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

I've heard a few theories about why the rear axles isn't as wide as the front, but I don't know the real reason. A 14bolt ff out of a van is 3 inches wider than one from a truck. Again I don't know why.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have to bet that its to allow better steering radius clearances

rear axles are all same WMS to WMS no matter if C or K, i think the wheels up front need to be farther away from frame rails to prevent sidewall contact during sharp turn but GM didnt want to have to have two different length rears, the 2wd axles work fine, vans are wider than trucks anyways so axles and lower arms and stab bars are also, thats just how it has to be or it wont work

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

As far as I have read it is to improve the turning radius. Van rear axles are wider and would make a good fit. Before you put wheel spacers on I would do a search here to see some problems that other people have had with them, their wheels coming of and the spacers coming loose. Any way, if you buy spacers retorque, retorque and retorque.