Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axles Delima?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tweetysuarus, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Would you finish upgrading D44 &12 Bolt that already has Detroit lockers and 4:56 gear sets. Upgrade with Warn axles and CTM U-Joints in the D44 and Superior Axles and disc conversion in the 12Bolt or would you opt to buy the D60 & 14BFF and do a full build up on these axles? I do intend to use this rig for various types of trail runs. So far it has served me well on the trails I have been on. Feedbacks would be greatly appreiciated as this is a very spendy project.
    Thanx,
    Bill

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Tell us what tire size you are after?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I am strange, I would run the 12 bolt until it died. I only say this as I had to get my DD (only truck actually) back on road quick. So I pulled a 12 bolt from a yard. I did buy a locker too. So with this much into it I am running it until it dies, then upgrade. I never seem to find the 1 ton deals other members do, I have looked in yards too. Then you have wheels, seals, brakes , gears ratio matching. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It all depends on what the biggest tire you will run and what type of wheelin you do...

5. Tweetysuarus

I'm running 38's now, But my intentions are to go to 39's or 42's?
    Bill

6. pauly383

Those are huge tires. I take my post back. Get the 1 tons . Sell me the 10 b front locker. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Tweetysuarus

What 10 bolt? I'm running second design D44 up front?
    Bill

8. pauly383

My bad. Brainfart. But still, those tires are HUGE /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

too big for 1/2 tons in my opinion, but if you beef them up with shafts and u-joints and stuff I think they might hold up, but if you go any bigger your going to break them sooner or later. Maybe even with 38" tires you would probably break them eventually no matter what you do.

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm running 38's now, But my intentions are to go to 39's or 42's?
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran into this problem a few years back, I had the lockers and gears but before I spent any more on shafts, joints etc, I cut my losses and did the 1 ton stuff, best thing I ever did.

11. Tweetysuarus

Thanx for the input guys!
    Bill

12. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

I just mentioned this in another post, ORD shafts and CTM joints $984 plus shipping. 1986 D60 4.10 complete $850. And you can still sell your axles.

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With 38's and the plan to go bigger 1 ton all the way. A built set of 1/2 tons or 3/4 tons could probably survive with 38's for awhile. If you have a good mellow driving style and you are smart you could probably make 38's work on a 1/2 front. I am going to try once I get the $ for the 37's or 38's. I know I am going to snap axles and such but oh well. I am going to see how well the big tires and 1/2 front works.

I have gearing so I don't have to use the throttle to jokey over and around things. Just let the motor crawl around. I don't think that there is anything that I could realistically climb or crawl that my truck wouldn't crawl at 1000 RPM or less. I haven't had any hardcore trails under my belt but I have crawled it enough to know that 800 RPM is plenty of torque to crawl most anything in my truck.

Hopefully with the low RPM I can crawl at I won't have to be changing front axles all the time. I have 3 full sets of spare axles though just in case I am wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Harley

14. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

If you are happy with your 4.56 then I would say keep what you got.
    I wouldn't sink too much money into the 12bolt.I think I would build a 14bolt for the rear if you have problems.
    The 44 lasted for me with my 39.5 tsl just fine.Yes I broke some axle shafts but I can replace a lot of shafts for the price of a d60 built to match.
    I might wheel hard once a week or once a month in the depends on work,but for me 2 or 3 shafts a year isn't worth the cost of a d60.
    I know every on thinks a d60 is the answer but cost is the desiding factor for me. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif