Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axles done few questions....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Jul 16, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok got my 14bff and 3/4 ton 10b in. They are 4.11's with a detroit in the rear. Questions:
    1. Old gears were 3.08 now my tranny feels weird (shifts harder) and I can feel it downshift.. is this normal from the gearing change?
    2. Breaking in used gears it says after you drive feel the cover to see if it is warm? How warm is too warm?
    I think that is it. Thanks again

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Can't say anything about the shifting...

Your diff cover should be cool enough to hold your hand on it. If you can't because it burns, it's too hot.

3. MTBLAZER89

Ok well here is here is how hot it gets. It sat with the sun shining on it this afternoon about 100* out. I drove 10 miles @ 40-50 Mph then stopped to check it. I could put my hand on it and hold it there, but it was pretty warm. I don't think I hear any wierd noises (except the detroit) coming from there.

TTT

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

What he said on the hand temp gauge....

You should feel an all around performance gain with that big of a change in gearing. Your truck now has more leverage on the road at ALL times.

I'm trying to put in my 4.56's this weekend....

5. MTBLAZER89

So if I can hold my hand on it It's ok?

--CHAT--- anybody?

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Yup....

7. MTBLAZER89

Ok went for another drive..about 10 miles. Couple of good acceleration runs up to about 65. Got back held my hand on it for a minute. Didn't burn me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. After accelerating then if I let my foot off the gas..I get a clank.. Is that just the slop in the Detroit?

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yes the Detroit will make some noise. Also the gears will make a difference on how the truck feels when shifting. My stock rebuilt th400 with 4:10's and Detroit in the back will bark the 35's when it shifts into 2nd sometimes.

9. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok got my 14bff and 3/4 ton 10b in. They are 4.11's with a detroit in the rear. Questions:
    1. Old gears were 3.08 now my tranny feels weird (shifts harder) and I can feel it downshift.. is this normal from the gearing change?
    2. Breaking in used gears it says after you drive feel the cover to see if it is warm? How warm is too warm?
    I think that is it. Thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]
    just did my swap and my tranny is doing the exact same but it also feels like a grinding vibration type feeling at my feet when I let of the gas. Im trying to figure it out, let me know if you do.