Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axles, driveshafts, and rear/front end gears..1984 S-10 Blazer 4x4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grey Goose, May 8, 2006.

1. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Registered Member

I plan on putting a 350 in my blazer including a 3 inch body and a 6 inch suspension lift..is it possible to buy a 700r4 transmission with the 4x4 output shaft already on it..will the driveshafts have to be lengthened or shortened at all after the lift..what kind of front/rear end gears should i install and are there any that i can upgrade too that will fit in my stock diff's..

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

what transfer case are you going to be running? Any 4x4 700 should already have the correct output shaft. The length of the drive shafts will probley have to be changed and yo might want to consider changing the rear shaft to a CV style and getting rid of the slip yolk on hte transfer case to help your angles out

3. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Registered Member

will the stock transfer case work with the v8 and 700r4..what is a cv style driveshaft(is it anything related to the cv joints in the front..similar?)...and what happens when you get rid of the slip yolk on the transfer case..wouldn't that inhibit the travel of the rear suspension?

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the stock transfer case will work on the 700 if that is waht you hve in there now.
    A CV drive shaft allows for greater angles in the drive shafts
    If you get rid of the slip yolk you jsut have to add one into the drive shaft its self, there are a few benifits to this, if you break your rear shaft you can still get home in front wheel drive and you won't leak fluid.