Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axles from FJ-40 Landcruiser?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by derek2002, Dec 8, 2002.

1. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

I have always heard how stout the axles are that come underneath the FJ-40 Landcruiser. Does anybody have personal experience with them or know what kind of axles they are? I have the an axle identification chart, but none of them match. It looks similar to a Ford 9 inch in the aspect that it is smooth around the back side (no cover bolts) and the center section pulls out. Any help and/or advice would be appreciated. I was thinking about putting them under a 1994 4Dr S15 Jimmy. Thanks in advance!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've heard the Birfields are the weak link in the FJ axles.

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

They should work fine. Get a set of longfields and chromo shafts for the front, and run V6 third members(if they will fit) in both axles and you should be fine. Although why you would want to run Toy axles under an S10 I am not to sure of. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Isn't the rear diff offset from center?

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

that sounds correct to me.

6. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

The axels can't be beat well that birfield thing there is a fix for that but I never broke a axle or a birfield just some spider gears. My FJ-40 had a 383 with FI the last motor was a 400 with FI. I did every hard trail in the state and never had a problem. If you where going to put one in a S-10 you would have to find a old rearend it's centered not offset like the newer ones when I say old I'm saying 60's era the 70's went to an offset.

Eric

7. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

RockinK5-
    What would you suggest for an axle upgrade on a Mid-Size?? I don't want full size axles, so what would be a better alternative to FJ-40 axles??

Eric-
    Thanks for the information... I didnt realize that they rear axles every came in the middle. I wasnt quite sure what I was going to do to accomodate the offset differential, but thanks much for the advice. Do you by any chance know who made the axles? I havent tried EXTREMELY hard, but I have had a diffucult time identifying them.

Call me an idiot, but what exactly are "birfields" and "longfields"? I am just missing some terminology or something?

THANKS, GUYS!

8. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

How about a set of Waggy 44's, find the right year and you will get a centered rear diff and a passenger side diff. If you need drivers side they had those too. These axles are narrower than a fullsize, 59" rear and 62" front I believe.You can do what you want, but this would be the probable route I would take. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Call me an idiot, but what exactly are "birfields" and "longfields"? I am just missing some terminology or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

A birfield is a stock Toyota front axle joint prone to breaking. A long field is an aftermarket Toyota front axle joint which is much stronger and almost unbreakable for the right person.

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I would decide what width you need for sure. 40's, 60's and 80's all have different widths, getting progessively wider. The WMS for the 3 are;

40 1404mm/1400mm 55"/55"
    60 1485mm/1470mm 58.5"/58"
    80 1595mm/1600mm 63"/63"

From 58-62 the rear axle was centered, all others are offset. All front and rears up to 91 had a 9.5" rear ring gear, and sometime in there they switched to a 9.25" in the front, and then the ring gear is 8" in the front after 91. From 67 up the axle shafts are 33mm 30 spline units. Hope that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Wrangler axels are the perfect width for your S-10. Plus they have the diff on the drivers side to match up with the stock t-case. A good rear end is a Ford 8.8 with disc brakes from a '96-2001 Exploder fits perfect. Plus the bolt pattern on the wheels are the same.

11. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if you look hard enough you may find a set of axles out of a pre 78 bronco yes i said bronco other wise known as a bob tail, 44f 9" rear /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The low-buck way to upgrade the Birfields is to put the Mini truck knuckles, Birfields, Disc Brakes, etc. on the LC axles. As long as you confine full throttle to more or less straight ahead they should be fine.
    The Wagoneer/Cherokee axles you'd want are from a non QuadraTrac vehicle. The Q-Trac rigs have an offset rear diff.

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Explorer 8.8 rear, late model comes w/ disc brakes. It would be the same as a narrow 12B. The front is a little tricky, I would say high pinion D30 from a YJ but a guy in our club did that swap and has been breaking it regularly. Personally I think it has to do w/ who had it before him, the YJ it was in was used very hard. Those are both 5 on 4.5" pattern. A P/U Toy front might be good and you can use the high pinion center section from a late model Crusier. That's all the help I can give.