Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axles in 79

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txfireman110, Jan 2, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

What axles would you expect to find in a 1979 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 P/U???

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

14bff and a d60 i believe..

3. one ton burb

one ton burb 1/2 ton status

it will be a 14 bolt full floater if it is a srw version and a dana 60 front end. but watch out for the one ton full time trucks because they have a np 203 and a full time dana 44 front end.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it will be a 14 bolt full floater if it is a srw version and a dana 60 front end. but watch out for the one ton full time trucks because they have a np 203 and a full time dana 44 front end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a '78 K30 that was full-time, and it has a 60 with drive flanges (no lockouts). I have never heard of a 44 front in any K30.

5. Confedneck

before the D60 came out.. one ton trucks had d44 front ends.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    before the D60 came out.. one ton trucks had d44 front ends.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, most people don't except it but there was a 1 ton rated 4x4 before 77' with a D44. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Confedneck

see, i know a few things..people should "accept" my word as gold, from now on.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    see, i know a few things..people should "accept" my word as gold, from now on.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

well i have a D44 out of a 76 chevy, it came with a 14bff does that make it a 1 ton? a buddy of mine was saying it was a large hub D44? he has a 1 ton with a D60 and told me that i had the better D44? not sure? how would you tell?
    i always thought d44 where for 3/4 tons.

10. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first factory K30s were made in '77, and they came with Dana 60s. Prior to that, any one ton 4X4 was an aftermarket conversion, and they probably did have Dana 44 fronts.

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    well i have a D44 out of a 76 chevy, it came with a 14bff does that make it a 1 ton? a buddy of mine was saying it was a large hub D44? he has a 1 ton with a D60 and told me that i had the better D44? not sure? how would you tell?

[/ QUOTE ]That is probably a D44 out of an early chevy 1 ton 4x4.

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first factory K30s were made in '77, and they came with Dana 60s. Prior to that, any one ton 4X4 was an aftermarket conversion, and they probably did have Dana 44 fronts.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's not the front axle that determines if it is a 1 ton or not, it is the GVWR that distinguishes that. Most of us don't consider them one tons just because it didn't have a D60 under it but that isn't what matters when it comes to vehicle weight class, it's the amount of weight it can haul/tow. I agree that it doesn't seem to be a 1 ton but all we wan't iss heavy parts and get used to seeing only a D60/14BFF combo as "1ton" but "1ton" has to do with weight handling and not axle combos.

13. Confedneck

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    well if the 14bff is original, look at the shock mounts.. if they are both on the same side of the axle housing, its one ton..

14. one ton burb

one ton burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a '78 K30 that was full-time, and it has a 60 with drive flanges (no lockouts). I have never heard of a 44 front in any K30.

[/ QUOTE ]the one ton I'm taking about, dose have a dana 44 front axle with the bolt on drive flanges and it was also a duellie hub version not a srw it also has a dana 70 rear axle instead of the 14 bolt ff.