Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axles Prices gone to Hell!!! - What Truck to buy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brian 89KBlazer, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Just looked at Boyces' Website with their updated prices and WOW!, $2150 for an empty front Dana 60?? - and they used to be one of the cheapest around!!
    In total, I'm looking at about $7500 tax total (Canadian $$)including shipping to get an ARB'ed Dana 60 front & an open rear 14-bolt! So the next option is (and luckily my WIFE suggested this!!!) to buy an old 1-ton truck, swap what I want & and sell it. Only problem is now I have to rebuild the axles myself but at least I'll get the experience & save a LOT of $$$

<font color=blue>My question is what trucks to look for? Obviously 1-ton 4x4 but any particular years or noteworthy problems to avoid??</font color=blue>

Thanks
    Brian
    89KBlazer

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Any one tons will work as long as you know what you need. If you need single rear wheels, remember that when you come across a dually, its very expensive to convert it to single. No particular year stands out, cuz they are all good candidates. If you are focusing on a certain part, say t-case, look for 80 and up as they ALL had np205's. 77-79 had both 205 and 203. Not much to tell you what to look for as these are possibly the best trucks GM built on the heavy duty side.

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

If you get a K30 in decent shape, you won't have to rebuild the axles. I'd try to find a 80's K30 since the front 60 shafts have a thicker center than the late 70's models. K30's were made 77-87 and 89-91 crew cabs. The K30 14 bolt FF will need the spring perches relocated. I wish I did a swap like this from the beginning.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>http://www.off-road.com/chevy</A>

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yep, Boyce just raised their prices right after I bought mine, check around they are going up every where, after looking at mine it looks like everything in the axle is new execept for the case of course. If you get a used axle, make sure the cost of a re-gear, ARB, calipers, tie-rod, tie-rod ends, seals, bearings, rotors, etc. are not more than a rebuilt unit. Since I plan on going to a TH400 with doubler in the future, it would have been better for me to buy a K30 with 400/205/D60/14/bolt right from the begining, but I didn't know what my final plans where going to be then, also, I live in a covenent controlled neiborhood and would have no where to do the swap anyway.
    I must say it was nice to order the axle just the way I wanted it, I needed to treat myself to this real bad. [​IMG]

FYI - Boyce just raised their prices like two weeks ago.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Westy, Shawn, & Steve

Thanks for the info. Steve, you actually answered on of the questions I wanted to ask. Anything beyond the parts you listed that I need to look at?
    Shawn, the more I think about it, the more excited I get! If I can find the right rig, I could end up with a TH400, NP205, the D60/14-bolt & a 454 to boot!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It would be nice to have them delivered to my door ready to drop in but for what it'll cost me (probably in excess of $8000 just for 2 axles), I'm going to start looking for a 1-ton right away.

Maybe if I'm lucky, I can score one with a snow plow & life will be complete!![​IMG]LOL

Brian
    89KBlazer

6. CK5

Also look at the king pin bushings.
    If I had to do it over again, I would have bought a 87 K30 with fuel injected 454/Th400/np205/d60/14bolt and put it all in my K5 at once. [​IMG]

Steve
    [​IMG]

7. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Hey Brian,
    Don't overlook single rear wheel crewcabs. The one I have has the SM465 but a 350 engine.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

8. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Was there a F0$D in the 1970s era with a high pinion Dana 60 front? Where do I buy just an empty
    high pinion Dana 60 casting (w/o axle tubes)? How much front ground clearance do I lose changing
    from 10 bolt to Dana 60?

SteveB

9. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

theres an 87 k30 with 454, front D60 and rear 14bolt and whatever else for 5800 in the want-ad.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wantadvertiser.com/index.php35>http://www.wantadvertiser.com/index.php35</A>

Peace.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Feel the Thunder
    [​IMG]

10. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Steve, how in the world do you live in a 'hood with all those covenents? I thought those were for yuppies who never work on there own cars. I couldn't stand it. I bet you still do a pretty good job of pissing off your neighbors.
    And my second point may sound a little un-K5-like, but I'm going to say it anyways. Instead of going to all the trouble to swap EVERYTHING out of a K30 into a Blazer, why don't you just build up a K30? Longer wheelbase would make a bigger lift easier. Better driveline angles. More room for a doubler. And you wouldn't have to swap a damn thing. I'm thinking about keeping my Blazer with 33's or 35's so I won't need bigger axles. And then get a K30, put a 6 inch lift on it, hack the fenders and run some 39.5 Boggers and not break a thing.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

11. KENBARBOUR

KENBARBOUR Registered Member

I almost bought a crewcab off an old guy for $500. It had a 454, Th400, Np205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, and it was rusted real bad. A perfect reason to swap it all in my K5!!! I'm still kicking myself in the ass. If you're the old guy and you're reading this PLEASE CALL ME Your right, I remember when you could get a Dana 60 front from Boyce for 1500 bucks. What happened, Are these axles becoming an endangered specis?

12. CK5

It's not easy, and yes I do live with a bunch of minivan driving cell talking yuppies, my neighbors must think I drive a piece of crap because I am always working on it. nothing like the sound of an impact wrench around midnight on a quite street. [​IMG] As far as the K30 thing, yeah just lift it and BAM your done, but I'm afraid it wouldn't fit in most tight trails that I run, hell, I'm already pushing the size envelope.

Steve
    [​IMG]

13. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, I've always been a "sawzall at 2am" type of guy myself. No regulations here...just gang members to shoot me if I wake them up too often.
    Good point. You see, thats something I completely forgot about. The size of a K30 on the trail. Being in Kansas, I don't have to worry about that too much. Running through a mud pit is....well....running through a mudpit.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

14. Brian 89KBlazer

That's my hope is that the truck is not in too good shape or I may not want to tear it apart! [​IMG]
    From my inital peek around town, doesn't look like I'll be able to be too pickey - there aren't that many around here.

Brian
    89KBlazer

15. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Try to find a military CUCV made from 1984-1987, one ton Chevs. They have the 14 bolt with factory Detroit Locker and front Dana 60 with Trac-Lok and 4.56 gears. The trannys are all TH400s, but most came with 208 transfers. Oh well, the last one I bought was $1450 and came with a spare TH400/208 setup and a spare set of Dodge 4x4 3/4 ton axles. Also, I found a 1979 K30 without engine for $1300: 14 bolt, Dana 60, TH400-203, etc. Additionally, there is a guy in So Cal who sells Dana 60 fronts for $900. When I got one from him a couple years ago, I got to pick which one I wanted, as he had like 12 of them. They're out there, you just gotta shop and resist the temptation to drain your bank account, or take a second mortgage on a unit from Boyce!!

ken

16. Brian 89KBlazer

Thanks Ken

Just one problem with a CUCV - I live in Newfoundland on the far east coast of Canada! (see The Perfect Storm for reference! LOL [​IMG]) Sourcing US Military equip may be difficult.

Any Canadians out there know if the Canadian Armed Forces has much in surplus vehicles or a link to source them??

Thanks
    Brian
    89KBlazer