Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

what would be the cheapest axle that can hold up to a 38.5" tire? im not anywhere around rocks or big hills anywhere, so id mostly drive on the street and in muddy fields.

Mike Dee

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

strengh,economy and the ability to say id like to try that and not have to worry about breaking something all come with the 14 ff. as far as the frount you will have to try trial and error with what you want tom do with the truck.

We are surronded. That simplifies our problem.

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't say that you wouldn't be climbing any stuff like that. Build it right the first time. I see you are up in McKinney. I am in N. Plano. I am a member of the TX 4x4 club, Arlington chapter. While I don't do many rocks, the club did make a run to The Slab this weekend. You can see the pics in some of the other posts. And, we have a big run planned for Gilmer in late September.

What I am trying to say is that if you put big meats under it, you will probably eventually use them. I don't have any intention of ever doing much rock crawling, but I will be doing some fun off-roading. Just be careful what you say you won't ever do. Because, once the meats are on, you just might! Building it right the first time is probably the best money saver. Ask most of the guys on here!

If you can afford it, I would say Dana 60 up front and 14FF in the rear.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

4. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

thats what i do want, but i don't think i can dish out 1500$ just for a axle. i still gotta do lift and tires. i think first im gonna save up and then get the axles put in. thjen when i get more money, ill do the lift, wheels and tires, and get the lower gears put in. or should i just save up and do all of that at the same time?

Mike Dee

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I know I am just a mild off-roader. My truck is mostly a daily driver. I went with a 4" lift (Rough Country brand) first because my stock suspension had some serious sag. I then decided to go with new tires. My 32s looked small with the lift. For practicality on a daily driver and due to costs, I went with good ole BFG MT 35s. Look and fit great with 4" lift. I am keeping my 10 bolt axles as I (a) don't plan to do any real rocks, (b) have a timid 305 engine, and (c) know how to control the throttle and not blow up my diffs.

I just dumped $1500 last week on new 4.56 gears and Detroit lockers for both the front and rear. I am confident that the 10-bolts would be fine for 35s and the kind of off-raoding I will do.

While 38s may look really cool, maybe you should reconsider the full financial impact of them. If they are really what you want to do, save your money and build up your axles first, lift second, and tires third.

Just my .02

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!