Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JayHornyak, Dec 4, 2002.

1. JayHornyak

JayHornyak Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="black"> </font color> Hey here is the deal. I use my K5 for moderate wheeling. I am currently running 35's for tires but I will need to soon replace them. I am considering going to 37's. I had to rebuild the rear 10 bolt a few rears ago and I got a detroit locker for a carier and new axle shafts. My front axle should get new shafts soon also. I can't decide if I should start over with new axles now and if it will be worth the extra $to go and get new rims and everything or just redue my front 10 bolt and get new tires. In 35's or 37's. I have yet to break anything knock on wood. I am currently sitting on two ford rear axles which I could have altered to fit the Blazer one is a 9inch the other is a Dana 60. Just looking for constructive input. Thanks Also any K5 guys in south CT

2. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

Go for the 1ton axles, along with 4.88 gears if you plan to run 37", and save yourself some $$ . Stronger axleshafts could take the abuse , but its your ring gear that's gonna fail in the 10 bolt. Run a search its been discussed over and over.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Most desirable axles in my opinion are the 1 Ton set up (14 Bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front) Best economical upgrade is 3/4 Ton axles like (14 Bolt FF rear, Dana 44 front 3/4 Ton). Both the 1 Tons and the 3/4 Tons will have better breaks then your 10 bolt 1/2 tons. A Detroit Locker for a 14 Bolt FF can be had for around $300.00 also.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK first, you have already rebuilt the rear and have a detroit in it.
    If your front is still doing ok, stay with your setup, if the front is tired and you want to upgrade, you can get stronger shafts, and if you break your rear, which is the one that takes the beating, you THEN get a 14 bolt Rear, and change the outers in the front to 8 lug.
    With 3/4 ton front brakes and hubs and a strong shaft, and a rear 14 bolt you will have more than enough for a 35-37, IMHO.
    As I said in the begining, don't change before you break, unless you can sell what you have before it breaks and reduce your overall cost for the swap, but I don't see much demand for a 10 bolt rear do YOU?

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You might as well do the axles. I wish I had. It would have saved mucho money in the long run. Maybe you can trade the two axles you have for the standard 3/4 ton setup.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I use my K5 for moderate wheeling

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you don't do hard core wheeling, forget about the D60 front, as those cost a pretty penny. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You will be just fine by upgrading to the 3/4 ton axles, but if you want to retain your 6 lug wheels, upgrade the rear to the 6 lug 14 semi floater. This will allow you to keep the same front axle you have and not have to shell out more $$$ for wheels.
    Just spend the money on finding the 14SF and getting it matched to the front axle, or vice versa. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif