Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axleshaft and driveshaft spare storage, revisited

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Jan 10, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

See Grim's post here.

I don't keep my spare parts with me all the time. They get put in the truck for wheeling and only then. Otherwise, I'd probably find a permanent spot to mount them.

I have a rear driveshaft, two assembled 10 bolt front axle shafts, and one 10 bolt rear axle shaft that I've just been tossing inside my truck box (the cargo things Delta and others make). Hopefully, soon, I can find myself a spare NP208/700R4 front driveshaft and I'll have that to store also.

I'm trying to give everything a home instead of sticking it in the truck box like I've been doing for over a year. I'm working on mounts for the Hi-Lifts, my ax and hatchet, my shovel, and I've already moved all my onboard air stuff including my hose under truck. I don't like crap loose in the bed even though by the end of the day usually at least the ax and shovel are lying in the bed(!).

My current plans are to stick them in 4" drainfield PVC pipe. Of course, the rear axle shaft won't fit. Anyway, I plan on making wooden supports to suspend the the front axle shafts in the pipe so they can't slop around inside the pipe. The shafts will be painted and the splines will be treated with Maxima Chain Wax and then wrapped with electrical tape. My rear driveshaft fits tight in 4" drainfield PVC.

Has anyone had durability problems with this stuff? I know it's not impact-friendly but a 200lb person can stand on them and they don't crush. I don't want to use schedule 80 sewer PVC because it costs a lot and I don't know where I'd find it here in BFE anyway.

Next, has anyone found well casing big enough to fit a 10 bolt or 12 bolt rear axle shaft inside?

Thanks for the help guys. I know someone has to have found a solution to this problem by now.

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

you just need more housemates to call when you break in the woods that drive fullsizes. or do as your good j**p buddy that doesnt know what spare parts are, therefore you dont have to worry about storing them. so how are your new 33's looking? (sorry)

anyway, i was thinking about the pvc idea for a spare set of shafts, but havent gotten around to doing anything. by the time i put my 40" spare, 2 tool boxes, and the room my winch takes up, i dont have a lot of bed floor left. ive been lucky not to break more often, everytime ive been able to limp out of the woods.

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I don't know that many people with fullsizes outside of you strange rangers and Soliz. Heck, Errkila is a Jeep guy that lived behind me and I never once talked to him. Now there's another Jeep guy (green cherokee) that lives in the same house and I've never talked to him either. It's not like I'm never outside. The funny part is that I talk to the neighbors to the north of them and to the east of them.

"f'n-A man, why should I have to carry f'n spare parts? f'n everybody else carries spare parts and my f'n j**p doesn't f'n have room for f'n spare parts. if it f'n breaks I'll just leave the b*tch in the f'n bush and f'n go get a trailer."

Sound familiar? haha. I remember it from the time his master cylinder went out and he had no emergency brake and an auto transmission. It was followed by criticizing for putting an entirely new brake system in but failing to a modern master cylinder so he'd at least have one axle's worth of brakes.

I've heard nothing from him. It's beginning to look like the 12,000lb Milemarker is going to have to wait.

Anyway, I did some durability testing on the drainfield PVC. It's too weak to handle impacts. I think I might still use it for my spare rear driveshaft though since it's such a tight fit in it.

I think I'm going to see about finding some schedule 80 or schedule 120 4" PVC sewer pipe for the axleshafts. I'll probably get gangraped buying it up here though.

I figure I might as well bite the bullet and buy durable stuff and then put twist-locks on it. I mean, I don't plan on quitting playing in the woods anytime soon. I'd be able to strap it down as tight as I want and it'd take the abuse of impacts and people my size jumping up and down on it.

In your case, I'd probably mount the pipe to the inside of the bed using brackets that hang off the stake pockets. I plan on mounting my Hi-Lifts between the bottom of the stake pockets and the top of the wheelhouse so I can't do it there.

4. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

At work we keep a lot of stuff in 3" sch 40. 4" sch 40 PVC should hold up well enough. Glue a cap on one end and a threaded cap on the other. Its nice and water tight. Maybe numb nuts with the jeep wont find the axe next time if its "hidden" away /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif