Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axleshaft differences beyond the splines on D44's compared to 10 bolts.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Axleshaft differences beyond the splines on D44\'s compared to 10 bolts.....

Wassuupp all.....

Well the D44's and 10 bolts have different splines ont he diff end of their axles shafts but after the splines is there much difference? What I am getting at is, if a 10 bolt shaft were shortened and replined, could it be resplined to fit a D44?

I know most will ask why, but I aint tellin... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Actually I am thinking of narrowing a D44 I have to fit in the front on the 'Yota.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Anyone? And Thanks in advance.

*Now back to your regularly scheduled programming*

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Re: Axleshaft differences beyond the splines on D44\'s compared to 10 bolts.....

I believe the dana shafts are a little bigger than the 10 bolt shafts.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Axleshaft differences beyond the splines on D44\'s compared to 10 bolts.....

Find some ScoutII or EB D44 inners and mod the housing to suit. Both the Scout and the EB are a comparable width to a Toy (sorta...lol)

Rene

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Rene - Ya I have considered that route. Laketex and I have been talkin about different choices. I do have a line on cheap or free waggy axles and they are about 2.5"-3" wider than the 89-95 Yota axles....
    But I do have a stock Chev 44 housing I was thinking of cuttin down... If I have to pay for a different front axle, it would be similar in cost....

Rick - Most of the older Dana shafts have a narrower shaft than the 10bolts. But when it comes to the 74+ D44 shafts I am not sure what thickness they are. The older ones were small diameter and then necked up to the spline thickness.. I only have one set on D44 shaft but have a couple of 10 bolts... So if the 10 bolts were thicker throughout the length of the shaft I would rather use those...(if that is true on all D44 vs. 10 bolt shafts.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

A caliper will tell all but I think once you get past the seal surface, they're the same.

If you're going to have splines cut on something, I think I'd start with a new spicer shaft at the very least and maybe use a chromo blank. I don't think I'd pay to spline something that came from a junkyard, fatigue adds up on this stuff and it would suck to rip the ears off a freshly splined shaft because it was old to start with.