Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Axleshaft ID?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Today I became all confused about how to tell 10 bolt axleshafts from D44 axleshafts. I was told that 10 bolt stub shafts have the 2 grooves for the 2 snaprings that the 10 bolt uses.

Did D44 axleshaft have the 2 grooves too? We found some axles in the yards today that had 2 grooves and some that had 1. I assume the 1 groove is D44. I know the stubs are the same (except for maybe the groove number) but is there any easy sure fire way to tell D44 inners from 10 bolt inners? Anything at a glance, are there a different number of splines? I know 10 bolts are 28 spline (except 88 and later have 30) Thanks

I am really confused. I saw one truck with D44 that had a 1 groove axleshaft on one side and a 2 groove on the other. I am confused /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Harley

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

find the lengths and use a tape measure....Not much help....

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

The outers interchange but I dont know how to tell the inners apart.

Maybe the legnths on the inners is different?

A 44 long side inner is 37" and the short side inner is 19 3/8".

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

D44's could have either one or two grooves on the stub shaft. The shaft on the top is my '71 D44 and the bottom shaft is my '77 D44. Easy to see in the pic.
    [​IMG]

Like the others have mentioned, the only way to tell that I know of is to measure the inners.

Here are the shaft lengths as provided by Wes in his D44/10B bible.

The D44 shafts measure: right - 36.13"
    left - 18.31"
    10B shafts measure: right - 35.46"
    left - 19.15"

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, I am going to throw a monkey in the wrench.

I have seen 3 different types of outer stubs now that I think about it.

They are:
    1: One groove on the outer
    2: Two grooves on the outer (like the second shaft in your picture)
    3: Two grooves on the outer but the second groove is farther back then the one pictured. I know that the second groove farther back is where the snapring for Auto hubs goes on a 10 bolt.

Did D44's ever use a stub like #3?

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    3: Two grooves on the outer but the second groove is farther back then the one pictured. I know that the second groove farther back is where the snapring for Auto hubs goes on a 10 bolt.

Did D44's ever use a stub like #3?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm.....well, I don't have an answer to that question. I would speculate that D44's would not have that further-back goove since they never came with auto-hubs(that I know of). I do know that my '71 D44 uses the outer-most groove (the only groove) for the manual lockouts. The '77 D44 was on a full-time 4wd truck. The slugs were held on using the inner-most groove. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The '77 D44 was on a full-time 4wd truck. The slugs were held on using the inner-most groove. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    My '74 D44 also has 2 grooves on each side, but there is NO snap-ring holding anything on /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The '77 D44 was on a full-time 4wd truck. The slugs were held on using the inner-most groove. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    My '74 D44 also has 2 grooves on each side, but there is NO snap-ring holding anything on /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.....more monkeys to throw into the wrench. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I was thinking the same thing, 3???
    this is getting confusing /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif