Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AZ amigo's and company

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by tRustyK5, Oct 12, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

AZ amigo\'s and company

I wanted to say a big thanks to Rob, Fred and Russ for taking us under their wing at Moab. Couldn't find a better group of guys to break stuff...err...I mean wheel with. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Too bad Marv couldn't be there this year, I was really looking forward to meeting him.

We had a million good laughs and even completed a trail or two without breaking something.

Both Rob and Fred are crack whores though, no shame at all...

Here's a pic from Pritchett canyon:

[​IMG]

And here is a pic of Russ spotting me over the ledge that ate my driveshaft.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

Rene

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: AZ amigo\'s and company

You just *HAD* to post that didn't you... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    Russ spotting

[/ QUOTE ]

Remind me never to have Russ spot me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

driving a buggy with 42s is slighlty different than us plain old K5s /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. BadDog

But you had just come up that ledge on 2" smaller tires with no troubles... Sigh... I should have been watching the shaft closer but I really didn't think it was any where near hitting.

5. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    We had a million good laughs and even completed a trail or two without breaking something.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Both Rob and Fred are crack whores though, no shame at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

That is also correct /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. FWP

FWP CRS

You know I'm dogging you Russ /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Got the detroit up in the front yet?

7. BadDog

Sorta.... It was my usual SOL fiasco. Wound up being a pain to setup due to some unusual setup by the previous gear work. Wound up in and out about 10+ times. Bearings finally gave up and fell apart with no place to get new ones on the week end. Then, it finally came down to requiring a shim (or shims) behind the pinion race and Brian had none to fit. So, he is picking some up Monday and finishing it then.

On the up side, I have finally gotten some exposure to gear setup requirements. One thing I learned is that I NEVER want to setup my own. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif My luck is just too bad, and when my setup caused an experienced and skilled setup guy like Brian that much frustration, I don't even want to think about what it would have done to me!

8. tRustyK5

I still can't get over the level of guilt you seem to carry Russ /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Stop worrying about it, you spotted me through plenty of stuff that day without any trouble. The ledge was an abberation (sp?) If you get the chance check out Fred's driveshaft and you'll see two things. Number one it has a nice candy cane stripe now from that ledge. Number two is that his slip yoke is at the pinion. It's pretty hard to dent the slip yoke part.

My driveshaft is the other way around, the slip yoke is up top and the big weak assed tube part was down by the pinion. We took the same line, we both tagged the driveshaft...but it wasn't an issue on Fred's truck and you didn't know. Hell, I didn't know...

At any rate I got me a hell of a replacement built, so in one way you did me a favor. Plus if we had gotten much farther it would have been hell to get your buggy out of there. Remember the pop right just barely got you out as it was. It all worked out and next year we'll all probably be back...and I'll be much more prepared.

Rene

9. BadDog

Yeah, I know, shhhhtuff happens, especially when I’m around. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif What is eating at me is that I *assumed* you would have no problems in that area, so I wasn't watching like I should have been. I got careless and it cost you a shaft plus the days wheeling. It's not that the shaft got hosed, it's that I wasn't watching it, and I know better... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Lesson learned… again…

On the other hand, the shaft you got for that price is SWEEEET! Makes me want to ditch my square shafts...

10. tRustyK5

LOL, we were is such a damn hurry nobody was watching...which makes it nobody's fault.

I'm prolly gonna build a couple of square shafts for trail spares. After seeing what yours chewed through I'm sold!

The only way to learn is to fukk up sometimes...so let's just say I learned a lot this year /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Too bad Marv couldn't be there this year, I was really looking forward to meeting him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rene,

I too was looking forward to going and meeting a lot of Ck5'ers. Too bad it didn't work out... I'm still having a lot of problem w/ my back.../forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Looks like you had a good time..... and you're right about hookin' up w/ the AZ crew. There's no better guys to be broke w/../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Marv

12. tRustyK5

I heard about your back...that sucks dude!!! At least you could have done it at work and had a paid (albeit painful) holiday.

At least being broken with the AZ crew is pretty much a minor inconvenience...between Fred and Rob they could probably stock a NAPA store and put a NASCAR pit crew to shame for tools.

Sure was thoughtful of Rob to pack all those 10 bolt parts around...had to be in case someone else broke one because they sure don't do him any good. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Hopefully we'll see you next year!

Rene

13. FWP

FWP CRS

Yup, wheeling without the MAIN amigo just isn't the same /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. But we did think of you often Marv /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. BadDog

Yeah, we were all thinking about ya Marv. And Rob bent enough sheet metal for both of you... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif