Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AZ D60/14FF R&P/Electrac installer needed

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by AZTimT, Apr 16, 2004.

1. AZTimT

AZTimT Registered Member

Well, first off, hello to everyone here in AZ, I am finally back from Iraq and made it just in time to not get extended! I have my 78 Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif pretty much finished as far as being able to wheel except for one last major project. I need to have a new ring & pinion installed in my Dana 60 along with a Detroit Electrac that I have new in the box. I would also like to replace the R&P in the 14 bolt at the same time since it is getting sloppy at around 250,000 miles with the Detroit giving it that constant extra workout. The thing is, I have not the competence to do this myself without risking it all going wrong. I would appreciate any recommendations for a good person to have do this for me and I wouldn't pass up any advice on the brand of gears to go with either as this is my first R&P replacement. Have gas, will travel, Phoenix, Flagstaff, Prescott, Tucson, wherever, just so long as I know this gets done right without getting /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif gouged for it. Once I have this done, I would love to start trying to show up to some of these outings and meeting some of you guys. Shawn, Marv, and Mark, thanks for your help while I was in Iraq! Take care!

Tim

2. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Call the Desert Rat on Broadway in Mesa. Talk with Brain, is very knowledgeable and knows how to correctly setup axles. Also he a great guy to talk with about axles or anything offroad related.

Good Luck and hope to see ya on the trails soon, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Jay

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have heard nothing but great stuff about the mesa desert rat crew. I have wheeled with the manager over there a couple of times and he is cool too. Are the axles still loose or are they in the truck? If they are loose I might be able to work a deal with a heavy line mech over at chevy.

4. AZTimT

AZTimT Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have heard nothing but great stuff about the mesa desert rat crew. I have wheeled with the manager over there a couple of times and he is cool too. Are the axles still loose or are they in the truck? If they are loose I might be able to work a deal with a heavy line mech over at chevy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the axles are both under the truck currently, though if I absolutely had to I can pull them and haul them to wherever with my crew cab. The biggest thing I am worried about is setting up this electrac cuz it has a special differential cover that integrates into the install to help the unit convert from a truetrac to a full locker with some fancy fork mechanisms. The 14 bolt is pretty straight forward since the Detroit is already in it and it just needs some new gears and everything that goes with it. Thank you both for your recommendations. I will give Desert Rat in Mesa a call and find out more info. I was planning on calling them already, but since they have the stamp of approval from someone here I will make them my first contact. Thanks again for the help, you guys are great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Tim

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

don't waste your time with the other desert rats near phoenix (often referred to as desert dorks). The elec-trac is no different than any other carrier as far as install is concerned (other than an extra wire).

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Welcome home Tim, Glenn (1404) just got home today! (Mimosa is with him). I have a number of a good guy who does work at home. I'll look for it.
    Mark

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'll second Brian as the best I know in the area. He did my D60 Detroit and *nobody* works on my truck but me. Unfortunately, diffs are just about the only thing I lack the skills, tools, or inclination to tackle, and I could not have been happier with Brian's work. In fact, since I bought Brian’s old truck, I now own 3 out of 4 1 ton axles that were set-up by Brian, each one flawless… Also came highly recommended from Rob and several others.

8. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

If you are looking to have R&P installed in the valley, then the only person to have it done by is Brian LaBarge.

This guy know what is going on when it comes to a Ring & Pinion.

He only works at the Mesa Desert Rat, ask for Brian, and or Eric, tell Eric that you are from the ColoradoK5 board, he will get him to connect with you.

Drive it trailer it, or what ever, it's worth the trip.

PM me with questions.

Rob

9. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

my buddy brian "the other one" instslled my locker, I will tell you more when I talk to you again, he is a great guy to deal with /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. supersize75k5

Hey Tim,

if you need to drop it off, I could take you back home or if you want to go wheeling at the lake while it is being done. I am home all day so it is no problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. AZTimT

AZTimT Registered Member

Well, I finally got a chance to take a look at the Electrac and I must say, it is alot simpler than I thought. The extra diff cover that comes with it makes it virtually the same as the regular detroit install, but I will definitely be having Brian install the R&P for me so I have that peace of mind. Thanks for the offer Shawn, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I won't be down in the Valley again until Wednesday or possibly Thursday the way it looks right now. Well, thank you all very much for your recommendations. Oh yeah, did anyone have any suggestions on brands of gears to use?

Tim

12. supersize75k5

I have richmends sp?

I have not broke them, thats says something right? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. AZTimT

AZTimT Registered Member

Ok, well, here's an update for everyone that has been kind enough to offer their help to me here. I called around for pricing just so I could have the peace of mind of being an informed consumer but I still set my appointment with the Mesa Desert Rat crew simply cuz I trust your recommendations more than the $50 I could have saved up front at another shop. Oh, and Eric said that Brian no longer does gear installs and is now in sales and another CK5 member... Shane I believe was the name is the lucky guy who gets to toil over my toy for my benefit. Thursday my truck should be all set up finally after a long 3 years as an overgrown 2 wheeler. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Thanks again for all of the help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Tim

14. supersize75k5

Shane is a great guy, he will do ya right, just let me know when so we can go wheeling, then pick your truck up and do a night run /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Shane is a great guy, he will do a great job. Hope to see ya on the trails soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. AZTimT

AZTimT Registered Member

Re: AZ D60/14FF R&P/Electrac installer needed UPDATE 4/28

Well, thank you all very much for your recommendations... Desert Rat Mesa did the install and wound up saving me a couple hundred bucks by reusing my R&P that turned out to be ok and just incorrectly set up by the previous owner. They ran into some difficulties with it and wound up not being able to install the cover which turned out to be a shallow cover and not a deep one. I am trying to sort this out with Detroit/Tractech etc. So right now I have an $800 truetrac until I can get the cover situation figured out, but hey, I can 4 wheel now and that alone is one heck of an improvement! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Mark, congratulations on your son's safe return and I hope he enjoys being back as much as I do! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Shawn has told me about some of your other trucks (ie a green one missing a hub that was a heck of a deal) and I think I need to come over and say hi some time soon... LOL I still wanna see that crew cab that you outbid me on too!

Ok, well, I'm off to bed folks, but I do wanna try to meet some of you all soon, like the weekend after this one if possible. I'm in Flag this weekend, down in Phoenix next weekend. Take care!

Tim

17. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: AZ D60/14FF R&P/Electrac installer needed UPDATE 4/28

Glenn and Mimosa are in Flag this weekend, with the yellow 84 CC dually. Look for it. They are using it to help move some friends.