Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AZ dudes - show me some trails! (I.E. wheel w/ me on saturday DEC 23)

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by colbystephens, Nov 16, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

visiting family over christmas. was thinking we could wheel on friday the 22 or saturday the 23. all i've got is the rig i'm driving down there - it's my 83 k5, 4", 35's and open front and rear, thus can't do anything too hardcore, but i want to see some cool trails. i'm going to crown king with the family - so maybe a different trail from taht one. btw, i'll be in the phoenix area.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  2. FWP

FWP CRS

I could do the 23rd. Where bouts in PHX are you gonna be?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Cool , my weekend off :woot:and since your open/open we can run more people on the same trail :waytogo:

We should make this the "big" one for 2006 :thumb:

4. colbystephens

i'll be up close to cave creek. a big wheelin event would be cool. :D maybe we could bbq at someone's house afterward. my family's house wouldn't be too workable for the bbq... anyone else??

has anyone driven crown king? how would you rate the difficulty of that trail? i've been up it in my dad's jeep, he was driving, i was passenger and it was no problem. i expect it to be a pretty easy trip, but i'm curious how it would be rated as i can't recall how rough of a trail it was, aside from being BUMPY.

5. pauly383

Cave Creek road , or Cave Creek the rich folk city town thing ? I am fine with either area we frequent .

You are capable of Raw Deal and terminator with some spotting or a tug here and there out off the I-17 and Table Mesa . And I know from running stock height and open , you can run Upper Woodpecker in Florence Junction .

Both are worth the drive , especially since we cleaned up Table Mesa :D

6. colbystephens

cave creek the rich place. i'd like to go on a trail which has beautiful scenery and a nice trail.

the ideal trail for me is this: a combination of easy riding and technical wheeling with a destination. destination being defined as a beautiful view, a cool place, a place that is different than the location where we started, or a nice scenic trail (views). i don't enjoy going to places where you just go over obstacles for the hell of it. i'm building my rig to go and enjoy creation and drive over some sweet obstacles in the process. :D does this define any of the locations you've talked about?

that being said, i've never been on a trail in AZ that didn't have beautiful scenery. :D

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

well the change in scenery from the start of the trail, to the end of the trail may be a problem for most around here, as if i remember, there are not too many (that i have been on anyways) that are longer than a mile or so:doah: :p: but we usually end up spending a good portion of the day on them, playing around, fighting obstacles and whatnot.

either way, you will definately have a good time if the normal peeps go out with ya, i know i always do, just hangin around somoe of these goofs is entertaining enough :D

Heck, i might even try to make the run if the truck is up to it, and some other things :crazy:

8. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Here in Tucson we go up the backside of the Santa Catalina Mountains which are on the northside of town. The road starts in Oracle at around 3500' and ends at the top on Mt Lemmon at just over 9000'. Around Xmas time there might be snow up there.

Nice dirt road, not very technical, awesome views the whole way up and once you get to the top there is the little town of Summerhaven/Ski Valley that has some of the best pie/chili & cornbread/ or pizza around.

Then you can either go back down the same way or take the front side that is paved and ends up on the eastside of town. Phenomenal views on the front side as well.

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Yea!!! New folks to meet! We'll get ya through.

Probably.

10. colbystephens

yeah, i'd rather have something that's got a good mix of rather technical stuff, and i'm not too keen on going all the way down to tucson - although i keep promising my wife that one of these days we'll go down to one of those ostrich farms between there and phoenix and ride some birds.... :D

11. pauly383

Somewhere near there in a barn type carport lies a day one original Superbird that needs new orange paint and rubber :D

You ain't missing much if go into Tucson the city though , I visit my Dad all the time , the city part is like one big Apache Junction :ignore:

12. AZPiNsTrIpEd

AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

[/quote]You ain't missing much if go into Tucson the city though , I visit my Dad all the time , the city part is like one big Apache Junction :ignore:[/quote]

x2, count me in for a trail ride somewhere around PHX!

13. pauly383

Tucson guys , I was just kidding ............... some of ya'll make it cool . Wheres Cary anyway ?

14. colbystephens

i'm all to familiar w/ the old-people mobile home parks in tucson.... :yuk:

15. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

We plan on being in the Valley come X-mas time...

16. pauly383

Hello Michael see ya there . PM me or call when you get in . We can go get a bite somewhere , your choice this time .

17. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Here's another PHX sheetmetal gang wheeler ready to wheel around x-mas. Not sure exactly what my schedule will be, but I'll definately have a 4-day weekend, and another one for new year's. I'll be on 33's with a locker. I don't mind scratches, just trying to avoid dents.

18. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

None taken Pauly...I just consider the source. :p:

19. colbystephens

ok guys, let's do a run on saturday the 23rd. who all is gonna go, and where are we going?

20. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Count us in until something gets in our way.:crazy: