Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AZ Emissions Run Down

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mini_mull, Sep 16, 2005.

1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Can someone in Maricopa County give me a run down of emmissions requirements for blazers from 69 through 79 or further? I did some searching, but it wasn't quite clear. I'm mostly wondering how far back I have to go to get away with little or no emmisions so I can start watching for a well priced project vehicle, since I decided it would be too inconvenient to make a project out of my daily driver. Thanks guys.

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

1967and older is exempt. Older 1 tons don't have much to pass either. I have never had a problem with mine and my motor is a new deffinition of junk. My crew cab just passed too (454)

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have an 83 that came with all the emissions .

Removed the ported switches and cleaned up under hood . Run just EGR , PCV , EVAP , and smog pump stuff .

2002 Emissions test they checked everything and I passed visual and sniffer . Printout list all emissions systems as passing .

2003 They checked everything and I passed visual and sniffer , got 2 year tags . Printout list all emissions systems as passing .

2005 , and heres the absolutely cool part .

This year all that they show on the printount is the gas cap . Thats it . SO something is happening to the system it seems . So I have 2 year tags again .

I am hoping the EPA lets us have that 25 year old exemption the state should of applied for since their study was over in December of 04 .

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Sorry Matt but your off by a year.
    1966 & before = no emissions required and you can get 2 year tags

1967-74 yearly emissions test required but they cannot look under the hood, so you can do any engine mods and they cannot fail you if you pass the sniffer. I'm kinda fuzzy on if it's 74 and older, or earlier than 74, but I remember 74 as a cutoff year.

1974-1981 yearly emissions test required, and they do look under the hood for things to fail you on.

1981- up a different emissions test is used and is good for 2 years

If you want to get away from smog pumps and catalitic converters, you could get a 3/4 or 1 ton up to the late 70's. They came without them from the factory. If you got a 74 or earlier, you could get away with pretty much any mods if you burn clean. But with the late 70's -80 Blazers you kinda roll the dice with emmissions. They are SUPPOSED to check for all factory installed emissions equipment, but since it changed a lot from model to model & year to year, you can some times slip through, only to be caught the following year. :doah:

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well Bob , we are getting closer to not having to take the test . I looked today and they updated their page at AZDEQ .

Vehicle Emissions Testing for Motorcycles, Collectible Vehicles, and Vehicles More Than 24 Model Years Old (HB2501/HB2294)
    (See new information below)

The directive contained in HB 2501, as enacted in the 2002 2nd Regular Session and modified by HB2294 from the 2003 2nd Regular session, required ADEQ to study exempting motorcycles, collectible vehicles, and vehicles 25 model years old and older from the current vehicle emission testing requirements. ADEQ is required to determine whether testing these vehicles provides a significant air quality benefit and whether testing them is needed for the current state implementation and maintenance plans for air quality. ADEQ was directed to consult with EPA and send reports to the governor and others by Dec. 31, 2004.

ADEQ completed the analyses to measure the emissions benefits of testing these different vehicle categories and address the other requirements of the legislation. The Draft Report was released on Nov. 9, 2004. A public meeting was held Nov. 23, 2004, to review the findings and accept comments. The final Report, which includes copies of all comments received and ADEQ's responses, has been transmitted to the Governor, the President of the Senate, the Speaker of the House, and Maricopa and Pima Associations of Governments. A complete copy of the final Report (including appendices) may be downloaded using the link provided below:

6. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the good info. You guys are awesome. Sure would be nice if they exempt all vehicles 25+ yrs old. Does anyone know for sure whether they start looking under the hood for 74s or not until 75s?

7. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

That 4th link Pauly posted had this in it, now bear in mind this is in a bill that is not law yet. But I believe it is part of the present law that is being carrier over.

In addition to an emissions inspection, a vehicle is subject to a tampering inspection on at least a biennial basis if the vehicle was manufactured after the 1974 model year and the vehicle is not subject to a transient loaded emissions test. The director shall adopt vehicle configuration guidelines for the tampering inspection which shall be based on the original configuration of the vehicle when manufactured. The tampering inspection shall consist of the following:

1. A visual check to determine the presence of properly installed catalytic converters.

2. An examination to determine the presence of an operational air pump.

The way I read this is 74 not checked, but anything AFTER IS subject to inspection.

8. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Thanks Bob, so I guess I'll look for a 74 or older unless the 25yr law gets through. The less headaches the better. :wink1: You guys rule, thanks for the info, I'm not worthy of your vast knowledge. :D

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

'78 K5 with 400 Small Blocks came from factory without CATS, charcel canister or smog pumps.

10. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mzn if that bill passes I'm moving back to AZ no inspection and no emissions on all but one of my vehicles life would be good.