Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AZ Emissions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 26, 2000.

I just bought an '84 K5 and I need to get it smog tested, (It was registered in a county that didn't need the test), I found only a small black canister in the front of the engine compartment. Nothing is hooked up to it. I figured attaching these is my first step...what's next?

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Round canister with 2 or 3 holes at the top is a Charcal Canister. "Hope you still have the cat on it"

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The cannister is called the Evaporative Cannister. In it is a charchol filter, is purpose in life is to store fuel vapors from the gas tank and carberator bowl and to dump them into the intake through a purge valve when the motor is off idle.(from Chilton's manual)

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

3. What's a cat?

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Catalytic converter

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

5. Where would I look for that?

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The cat is located a few feet in front of your muffler on your exhaust. It looks like a flat oval muffler........

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

There are a few other issues you'll have to address, too. Does your truck still have the air pump? And what about your EGR(Exhaust Gas Recirculation) setup? I don't have any emission stuff left on my rig, but I'm sure some of us would know more........

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I have both the 83 and 84 factory service manuals on the way...should have the vacum hose routing in them if your emission label is MIA....if you live in the valley....and you have some time on a sunday...i can look at it for you and advise you what you need to do to make her compliant for AZ emissions....

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

AZ Blazer,
    I would like to get a copy of the vacum hose routing! I have always had problems finding that to conferm mine is right. I'm plannig on coming to the Valley on the 7 to the 9 of April. Maybe I can get a copy then?

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

10. AzBlazer,

Where are you at, I probably can find some time on Sundays.
    No Cat on my rig.

Chevy in my blood.

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

C'moe...should have the 83 and 84 manual by your trip...recent ebay wins...books were shipped out to me on the 27th...and my 79 finally rolled out of the garage tonight...with rebuilt tilt column...factory intermitant wipers (its actually rainin tonight...lol)...and a new late model aluminun GM replacement radiator...can't wait to drive her to work tomorrow...the Chalet was fun to drive but doesn't do drive-thru's to well...lol. Email me with the particulars of your trip and i'll send you my numbers...home - pager - cell...etc.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

12. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Email me direct and i'll see whats on deck for this sunday....i live at 43rd ave and Orangewood...Glendale.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban